Converter Issue

lordmikef

I got a GN a little while back and started having some transmission problems. I took it to a local trans guy and since then everything has been going well so I didn't think much of it. I just had my car on my lift and happened to see that the converter was a D7. It's possible that he swapped the converters on me but that really isn't my concern because I have 3 D5's laying around. I was wondering if anyone knows something about the D7. Thanks

What is the difference in convertors? I just had Mine rebuilt and I see the guy didn't rebuild the convertor out of the orginal tranns. The one he rebuild is 2500 stall he said and has a antibloon platein it.

Dan

A D7 is a standard duty, lower stall converter. The one you have in your car started out as a D7 but I'm sure was changed internally to heavy duty specs I would assume. Heavy duty torrington bearing, either a D5 stator or a modified D7 stator to raise the stall, you mentioned it had an anti ballooning plate, maybe furnace braced fins, etc. As long as it's working ok for you, I wouldn't worry about it.

the main component in the converter that produces that stall ratio is the use of a 14 blade stator.it is possible to use a #7 pump cover and the 14 blade stator and get that stall ratio,although there are other combinations of parts that can produce different results .