You can type here any text you want

Coolant Drain

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

joejakegrace

Who has done a drain and flush (with or without removing the block plugs)? I know the SM calls for removal of the block pluts (as most cars do) but in the 3.8 it requires drilling a hole in the plugs and yanking the things out! (older cars I used to do had socket or flat edge attachments). I'm 90% sure my coolant is original or near original (16k miles) so I want to flush it. I'm inclined to drain the radiator, refill it with H20 1-2 times and run the motor until it drains clear. Then refill with a 70% mixture as called for. (in other words, not futz with the block plugs). Call me overcautious but I'm not inclined to start drilling the block of a tight Turbo 3.8!

THoughts?

I'd take off the bottom rad hose ...then flush with water ..drain again an put antifreeze in :)

If I'm not mistaken these motors have a 1/8 pipe plug on the side of the block near the motor mounts(one on each side). Simply unscrew them and you can drain the block of coolant, I drain my GTA's motor after each season that way(because I run mostly water and it gets cold up here :) ).

HTH,
Steve

TO JOEJAKEGRACE

Hi
I understand that you have seen a a Turbo Trans AM in Willimantic Conn for sale ? Can you tell me what condition it is in and can I email you with questions
Thanks

Back