Coolant In Crankcase!

Originally posted by Mr. T

Lee, I think that you missed something I mentioned earlier. I am not going off of "your" advice because I am taking someone else's into consideration: My Father's.

Who is my Father you ask?
[rant]
Why he is a certified mechanic (and has been as long as I have been alive, 23+ years) How many here are?! <my guess is fewer than we'd hope> If he says that it will be just fine, I'll believe him. He hasn't steered me wrong yet. Don't take this the wrong way but most of us here are computer geeks, white collar workers, and over educated bafoons (myself included) which clearly hold ourselves in high regard. But! When my Father speaks on general automotive repair and operation... I LISTEN => AND LISTEN HARD! He won't be around forever and I need to get from his vast experience what I can. He is a different kind of intelligent... the practical and appliable kind.
[/rant]
So don't think for a moment that I am disregarding a word you have all been good enough to share, I have passed along the suggestions to him, and "we" still came to the same conclusion.

The engine crane will be here on Friday... and the engine is going in :D

Such is life. And I know you all "told me so..." ;)
Well most of us have been wrenching on Buicks for years! I know I have for over 10 years and can do it all but build the trans.

Originally posted by GNVAIR
No Michael, I was an ASE Master Tech with L1 certs before I took my present job 7 years ago. I have been messing with cars since 1986. I have experience in both the automotive and computer fields. I am glad you take your father's advice. I'm happy for ya. But don't come on the board and ask what we think. If you already had an "expert" opinion, then why waste bandwidth asking what we think? A "certified" technician already told you it would be fine afterall.
Bravo!;) Well at least I told you where to look when it starts knocking (rod bearings). Enjoy the rebuild and like mentioned, don't ask here if you already have the answer as that makes no sense.:confused:

Hmm... Like I said already I came to you: First due to availability... then when good 'ol Dad showed up I "compared notes" and reached an externally educated decision.

I am/was not knocking you guys. I have the greatest amount of respect for you and your experience... maybe I forgot to mention that my Father too owned an '86 T-type (pic here: http://geocities.com/smasherss/family.html ) and he isn't out to lunch on the game we are all playing.

(none of the above was intended to sound undermining or condescending please don't get so hot and smart assed over it)

Really thanks for the advice.

I'm not an "expert trained" mechanic, just someone who enjoys working on the car (even enjoys rebuilding the motor if it wasn't for the money part), but being someone who has also had that "little bit of coolant" in his oil before, it cost me more than 4 rebuilds and many THOUSANDS of dollars because I didn't do it RIGHT the first time. I chalked it up to an EXPENSIVE learning experience. You see, you can shake the motor on the stand like it was full of mexican jumping beans (anyone remember them? :) ), and blow it out with compressed air, even perform a exorcism on it. But that water contamination is still in all those oil passages inside the block. You can't blow them out with the bearings installed!! And God can't even help you if any damage was done to the bearings and those small bearing fragments are in those passages (this stuff all happened to me). I can't believe you wouldn't change the bearings out with the motor out of the car already. It's a simple job and doesn't take but a couple hours and it's cheap. Damn, EVERY time I take the motor out of the car from now on, I will be changing the bearings just to be 'safe'. Now I know you have taken your father's advise, and this doesn't affect me in ANY way, but just sharing my personal experience. I got water in my oil (leaking intake manifold gasket) in 1996. I kept changing out wiped bearings (with motor in car) until last summer (2001) when I finally tore the motor out and tore it down and brought the block to have it dipped and cleaned.

Some parts ruined during this time period due to my ignorance include :

COUNTLESS Bearings
Turbo Crank
2 intake manifolds (cracked because of taking them on and off so often)
Countless little problems like stripped and heli-coiled bolt holes
Damaged rods
My MARRIAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just letting you know...... I almost just gave up on the car, but did it RIGHT finally, and she runs GREAT!

Derrick

Originally posted by ILBCNU6
Mr.T, nothing against you or your Dad's advice, A Buick V6 is a specialized engine and actually is a race motor having its roots in the Indy Car Program and having said this, some offered you some sound advise on the question asked. Sure it is your choice to do whatever you feel to do at this point. <snip> This past one, a stock engine built to the Turbo Street Modified Rules ran a 9.96 et. and 133 mph. (or course it was built right using only the best parts) Good Luck! Gene

Gene thanks for the advice... I already have a full TurboLink setup on order. And don't worry because the old girl will be fine ;)

Originally posted by tazgn

Some parts ruined during this time period due to my ignorance include :

COUNTLESS Bearings
Turbo Crank
2 intake manifolds (cracked because of taking them on and off so often)
Countless little problems like stripped and heli-coiled bolt holes
Damaged rods
My MARRIAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just letting you know...... I almost just gave up on the car, but did it RIGHT finally, and she runs GREAT!

Derrick, is that the wife or the car?! J/K.

This wasn't a coolant leak. Nothing has mixed while running for any duration of time. No gravy was made. :) What simply happened was when the front cover came off some coolant fell into the exposed pan and I happened to NOT get it all out with the oil pan drain plug being pulled, so it managed to make its way up top when I turn the motor over.

A rebuild is in the future anyway... :)

I have always managed to drip a little coolant into the block when pulling the intake or front cover off an engine. When this happens, coolant runs out unmixed with oil or you find a puddle if the engine was not rotated on the stand. One cannot completely drain the oil thru the bung so any dripped coolant will not come out that way.

If the leak had been there with the engine running, the coolant would have mixed with the oil and some of us know what that looks like.

I don't know what all the uproar was in this thread but it took away from the downpipe fiasco, I guess. I surely don't see any cause for concern based upon what was posted. They must have had a big sale down at K-Mart on testosterone. :)

Originally posted by Steve Wood
I have always managed to drip a little coolant into the block when pulling the intake or front cover off an engine. When this happens, coolant runs out unmixed with oil or you find a puddle if the engine was not rotated on the stand. One cannot completely drain the oil thru the bung so any dripped coolant will not come out that way.

If the leak had been there with the engine running, the coolant would have mixed with the oil and some of us know what that looks like.

I don't know what all the uproar was in this thread but it took away from the downpipe fiasco, I guess. I surely don't see any cause for concern based upon what was posted. They must have had a big sale down at K-Mart on testosterone. :)

LMAO! Have no worries Steve, I just threw my 2 cents back in that D/P thread... It'll pick up again ;) Seems everywhere I go... trouble follows.

As for the description you gave regarding the coolant and oil mix, you got it exactly... the coolant just flows out like little bubbles... not a milkshake ;)

Originally posted by The Radius Kid
Good luck and have fun.Sounds like you're in good hands.:) maybe I'll see you in June when Jay Carter is up.

Oh you'll see me... as long as I am not in for a rebuild ;) :D ... and even then you'll see me driving the future turbo car... my SS.

Meeting Jay Carter will kick ass!