Copper Head Gasket install ?s

Chyke

I am looking for some opinions on the following: (I have performed a search and there are a variety of responses.)

After blowing a set of head gaskets I'm going to install a set of copper one's, tonight. I'm looking for experiences with sealing them and torque specs.

The block(87 motor) is oringed and I am using copper wire. Originally I installed FP 9441's with pretty good success, but after getting cocky with total timing, experienced enough pre-ignition, using C-116 to lift the drivers side head and remove a three inch section of the composite material, placing it in the lifter valley. The timing issue is a whole nother story, no whipping please.

So I purchased a set of SCE 0.62 copper gaskets for use with the stock block, and a spray can of Hylomar. I have arp studs installed and sealed them with permatex high performance teflon sealer. At this time I have decieded not to machine reciever groves in the heads (cnc'd irons).

From what I can surmise everyone has an interesting manner to install this type set-up. My intention is to spray all surfaces, head, block and both sides of gaskets with hylomar, let tack a couple minutes and than install. I am going to tighten the studs from inside out and bring all of them to 85ft/lbs in incriments. I am also going to install a 7 pound radiator cap.

How does everyone feel concerning placing a thin layer of silicone around the water passages? How does everyone feel regarding the torque sequence and number. All replies are appriciated.

This car sees very limited use at all, even on the street. If it sees 2000 miles in a year I'm lucky. I have a set-up like this on a small block ford 318 that was built by Dutwiller, unfortunately it was assembled when I recieved it. I drive that motor on the street ocassionally and have yet to have any leaks what so ever. Maybe I'm just getting lucky. That is why I wanted to ask the Buick crowd for an opinion. Hopefully I can minimize leaks, thats why I'm asking. Thanks for the input though.