Corrupt FAST files? (dyno debacle, pls look...)

S351 R

Trying to get this 427 SBF (N/A) to work on an engine dyno is turning into a major headache with FAST B2B Ford TFI...

First question is how likely is it that a .gct file could be corrupt and act like a virus? Base file was modified from an emailed .gct file from Bennett racing. Initial indicator is that WP internal data logger would log (showing accurate info while logging 11 non hi-res sensors) and upon completing a 20-50 second log would show ridiculous corrupt info.

Brought that laptop home, hooked it to other car with FAST, and data logger did same thing. Figured the laptop was issue. Take different (proven) laptop back to dyno and now shows nothing after hitting trigger, just blank log screen.

Reloaded software, took an original file from other car (393) and converted it manually to 427 'specs'. Got it started (pig rich) played with it only a little but this time data log recorded bogus info, and ended with a white "grid" over the display screen in the logger. (!!???)

Got car started one more time, Actual AFR showed 12.7+/- but black smoke and rough running suggest otherwise. This time datlogger worked. Dyno throttle issues ended the day. Now really frustrated.

My spark is screwy as well. 10* on balancer = 10* on timing light = middle of timing pointer-to-terminal post on the other car. Proven distibutor, just new motor and cam, and now timing light requires considerable advance to read right the same (ie pointer is noticeable past #1 terminal - simply very odd. Is this an issue? 10* in crank reference table as well.

Also, entire timing table is set at 35* for initial testing and timing light shows a about two fluctuation where other car is much smoother. Coil is mounted on driver side front head.

ECM, coil, two TFI distributors are all proven. New stuff is .gct originating file, and my wiring of the FAST harness to work out of the car.

I've been using two FAST ecms for several years now with good luck, and believe I understand the basics/usual culprits. Also searched on here a bit.

Sorry for long post, any ideas? How vulnerable would interference be on some of my wiring/splices? Thanks.

Are you talking about the external datalogger you plug in or the built in datalogger on fast itself? What version is the software your reloading all the time?

norbs,
This is the internal FAST b2b logger, using version 1.02 disc (which is still same as what is offered online for download I think)

I wont be able to check this again until Thursday, but will try reloading software again, (clearing EVERYTHING ccom related), connect to the "running car" to retrieve that .gct calibration, convert it all to what the 427 wants, and rewrite over it again, and give it another try.

I dont know what else to try.

Heck, havent even gotten to the tuning gremlins or Speed Density vs Alpha N issues yet (pretty big cam for street...)

Thanks again

Keep us updated in your progess. What spark plug wires are you using? Also make sure you delete the c-com wp directories, wipe everything and start over. Do not try and display multiple tables with sensors showing on each table, even minimized in the background can slow down your datalogging to a crawl. Close each table/ gaph when your done adjusting them.

Ok, reloaded software and started from scartch from an untainted file and all is well. Guess the windows stuff can get corrupted. When in doubt - reload and start fresh I guess...

Thanks for the

Hey.. I've had this problem before.. it is your version of the software. Get a newer copy if it wasn't the latest windows version available. Mine kept putting a set of cells in the spark map to 0 deg.

I;m not sure if the last version was 1.020 or not? Anyone know?