You can type here any text you want

Corvette hub bearing fit the blazer spindle?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SFI Cutlass

Anyone know if the C5/C6 hub bearings fit on a blazer spindle? Heard of issues regarding hub bearings and was interested in knowing if anyone ever had a chance to mock them up? Want to do the swap but dont want to deal with always changing out bearings cause they go out. Thinking of installing blazer spindles with the billet aluminum hubs from GMR that also has a serviceable bearing. Plus it would be less unsprung weight.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Well considering that the factory front bearings are supposed to be re-packed every 30K and the Blazer units have seen 100K in many cases, I really don't see why you'd want to put a $1600 hub assembly on your car.o_O

I was thinking less weight, rolling resistance and less time servicing a hub would be a good thing? True it's expensive but on these cars what isn't? Still not sure what route I am taking just trying to figure out what direction is the best one for me.

You can get the Blazer hub assemblies starting at $50 shipped new off evilbay. Pack the cavity on the knuckle with grease and you should be good to go.;)

Let me know if you find the answer to this, as I'm also curious. I was actually thinking about it just for curiosity's sake a month ago and never pursued an answer.

The only downside to the blazer bearings is the inability to use a better grease than the factory utilizes for situations where the hubs see high heat/severe service. For 99.8% of the applications the hubs aren't an issue, but if you were to do HPDE/track duty where brake temps heat soak the bearings (along with high lateral load), you could see a significantly reduced bearing life. Shoving the bearing cavity full of grease doesn't give you any guarantee that it helps the roller contact surfaces in the bearings, as heat will typically break a grease down and make it run away from the pressure points. Many greases separate over time just from sitting, especially relative to environment (M1 is terrible for this, the soap will run out of the grease gun and leave the thickener behind). Hence, a large reservoir without it pressure feeding the bearings isn't always the answer.

If I do find out I will definitely post something but I am not trying to buy anything until I am completely sure. My goal is to some day install the 09-12 CTS V Brembo brakes from GM, but want to find the best configuration. I'm not a fan of the tall ball joints and also want to avoid going that route, CPP has a tall spindle that is coming out for g bodies and I would be able to install the GMR hub bearings but then I will have to find a caliper that will fit. Any C5 or C6 brakes will fit even the ZR1 Brembo calipers on the CPP spindle but then I don't know if they will clear an 18 inch wheel? Not to mention the ZR1 caliper will be more expensive. My ultimate goal is that I want Brembos on every corner because for some reason i do not like the style or functionality of other brake kits that I have seen on all the g bodies. Not saying they are not great kits, they just don't flow with the final goal I have for my car.

That's an interesting plan for sure. If you're looking at tall spindles, why not the AFX from Speedtech? I don't want to derail the topic, I have the tall ball joints on mine and they work very well for a reasonable price. From what I have seen/heard the ZR1 brakes will only clear a very few 18" wheels.

In my opinion, Brembos on a stock G-body chassis are a total mismatch... you'll have more braking performance than the chassis can handle relative to corresponding lateral performance, unless you spend a lot of time welding, boxing, bracking and add a cage. I'd consider getting a Roadster Shop, Morrison, or Schwartz frame/chassis at that point. RS doesn't make one so it would be custom... Morrison made one for the Holley Grand Prix, and Schwartz has them shown on their website. It's only money, right? :D

Because AFX spindle is a around $1600 still would need Hubs and cannot mount the CTS-V Brembos. CPP spindle same as the AFX but is made of steel versus aluminum at around $300 no hubs.

To answer your mismatch question. That is why I want to go with Brembo is because I have never seen it done. Why is more braking power not good? And have you seen the prices on a used Brembo setup on eBay only around $1200! With rotors. Baers are going for twice or three times that.

I have looked into the other frames but I have reasons for not to going that route. Trying to stay under $10k on the frame with boxing and powder coating. Sure its a dream now but I will get it done and want to start purchasing my parts slowly.

Makes sense on the spindles.

Brembos are great brakes and would make for a neat modification. Essentially, there's a tradeoff where you carry an unnecessary amount of unsprung weight around for brakes you don't utilize to their full potential. G-bodies are heavy, and with the proper chassis can use as much brake as they can get in an all out handling/racing application. If you are going max effort to get the widest tires possible under the car (say a 255-275 front and 295 or wider rear from cutting fenderwells and notching rear) that have a soft treadwear rating (200 minimum is typically accepted for most street car pro-touring style events), the brakes may certainly come in handy. If you have more brake than your tires can handle regularly, those no point in spending the extra money on them and accepting the weight penalty.

That's obviously my opinion, I think the CTS-V brembos look great and should work well based on the Nurburgring thrashings they put those heavy cars through. I also didn't realize when I made the post above that the new CTS-V brembos were going so cheap as take offs... when you were talking ZR1 brembos, I also assumed you were looking at spending $8-9k on a set of brakes. For $1200 I'd definitely consider giving it a shot. I've seen some threads on either pro-touring or lat-g where somebody engineered a custom parking brake solution as well, it was pretty neat. Good luck with the project, hope it works out well for you!

Back