You can type here any text you want

Couple Question On Performance

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

83PurpleT

whats y'all fellow before black drivers i was wondering if anyone could answer some of the questions i have on my 1983 Buick t-type?

first of all i wondering if there is any aftermarket intake maifolds that would work with the factory setup? i would also like to know if anyone has suggestions for carburators, should i rebuild the quadrajet or get a differant carb, and if i rebuild are their any parts to make it better. I know there isn't much hype about pre 84 turbo regals but does anyone know if and where i could get a bigger downpipe, headers, or intake piping?

any info would be helpful.

You can slap a 9 inch cone on and get some heating duct and make a nice smooth intake pipe, I think 84/85 headers work. As far as down pipe I think an exhaust shop would have to custom make it. Make sure u have all of your regular maintinece done first before anything, and I would put a new fuel pump on too, ditch that little fuel filter and put one of those big aftermarket ones in line. These cars aren't powerhouses but if u treat it right u should be able to take down stock camaros and stangs. Visit b4blacks website. I don't think it's been updated for a while but nontheless great reading. Have fun with it and don't get to crazy with it until u know it. There are no aftermarket intakes or plenums for these cars so take good care of them. Carbs go for about 300 bucks for a reman so I suggest rebuilding yours. Stick with the ecm. Pull the smog if you feel like it. may need to readjust idle and timing. Man, I wish I could get one of these for a daily driver again!

thanks alot man. yea i still plan on rebuilding the engine before i start doing any performance to it. i got the exact opposite problem, i wish this wasn't my daily driver so i could start putting some major work into mine, although it ain't a 86-87 it's still a fun car n i love the regal body

Stick with the stock Q-jet and ECM. I'll second the in-line filter. The one in the carb caused a lot of problems for me. The 83 headers are indentical to the 84/85.

The best thing bar far is a knock gauge. The 83 uses the same sensor and module as a 84/87. I got mine from Caspers Electronics. Work at lowering knock and raising boost. This will get you farther than any other modification.

Try this: http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/images/cone82.JPG It's a K&N 9" cone air filter RE-0810 connected with a 3" RV sewage pipe connector (try Wal-Mart).

I wouldn't bother on rebuilding it unless it absoutely needs it. A rebuild always is more than what u think, trust me. I'm almost double what I though I was going to spend. If you must really get dirty, take the time to do the timing chain and valve springs. Make sure the springs aren't more than 90-100 seat pressure. Definitely check all your vacuum lines, especially the ones coming from teh turbo. Clean your carb up after you make the air cone swap, and check the headers for cracks, Like I said do ALL regular maintinence first and go from there. If it won't burn the tires from flooring it off idle now, it will when you get done!

The stock exhaust manifolds are the same between your 1983 and the 84-85 hot airs. The only difference is in the heat shields. No gain in switching in other words.

Back