Craftsman, John Deere, Cub cadet , or Husqvuarna?

John Deere makes John Deere...I dont know where this rumor got started but it is just not true. Lowes and Home Depot JD's are EXACTLY the same as the Dealers:mad:

Go to consumer reports and read complaints about "all" OEM's....You'll find unhappy consumers for all brands but to me the John Deere's don't seem to be as serious as some others, also, JD sold about 350,000 LA series last year and I would imagine the vast majority are very pleased...as am I......JMHO

Mr 1 post wonder, the cheap ass line like the 100 series ARE NOT made by John Deere. The better lines as in $2000-$15000 dollar mowers are built by John Deere people.

The 100 series are made FOR JD not by JD to compete witht he cheap **** on the market.

Do not bring a knife to a gun fight cause your gonna get your ass handed to ya:wink:

Mr 1 post wonder, the cheap ass line like the 100 series ARE NOT made by John Deere. The better lines as in $2000-$15000 dollar mowers are built by John Deere people.

The 100 series are made FOR JD not by JD to compete witht he cheap **** on the market.

Do not bring a knife to a gun fight cause your gonna get your ass handed to ya:wink:

Just because you have JohnDeere in your screen name doesn't mean you know anything about them :D

Just because you have JohnDeere in your screen name doesn't mean you know anything about them :D

Actually he does, no more than most that is.

I get so tired of listening to the morons at H.D. and Lowes trying to tell me that they are real JD's, when I know they're not, but it falls on deaf ears.

John Deere contracts low tier manufacturers to build the LA line for them. They licence the name to the other manufacturers. Only only thing JD about them is the fact that JD gets stuck with having to cover the warranty on them. My poor neighbor has one, and has had it into the shop at least twice a year every year since he bought it a few years ago.

We were gabbing the other day and he told me, the next time it craps out, he's junking it and going down to get a Simplicity like mine. I told him "you wont like the price". He laughed and said, "you only go around once in life, it's only money". Wish I could say that. But, like I told him, "ya get what ya pay for". :biggrin:

I know I have posted here before but another year has passed and I still love my Hustler ZTR. Cut my mowing time from 2.5 hours to 25-35 mins. Leaves badass stripes as well. I change the oil, airfilters, sparkplugs, and oil filter once a year (only 20 hours or so) and use it all year. Makes mowing a pleasure.

Jason

Actually I know. It was a dig at Ty.

You owed me that one from the computer dig I got you on:p

I would say this is an imposter... already posting here because why would you come to a Turbo Buick board and your first post is in a thread about lawn mowers:wink: :rolleyes:

You owed me that one from the computer dig I got you on:p

I would say this is an imposter... already posting here because why would you come to a Turbo Buick board and your first post is in a thread about lawn mowers:wink: :rolleyes:

Maybe he's looking to turbo his lawn mower.

just sayin

I have about an acre to cut. So I looked around for a lawn tractor.
I knew I wanted something that I didn't want to spend a ton of money on.
I wanted something that I could service myself and didn't have to worry about expensive parts that I had to wait for a week for.

I wanted a name that was well know.

I couldn't afford a John Deere like my brother in law, he has at least 4-5 acres of grass... and he is a farmer to boot.. he can afford the tractor, parts and service, I cannot.. I found a John Deere at a home improvement store and it wasn't cheap... and It wasn't a John Deere like the ones at the John Deere dealer..My brother in law told me not to spend that kinda money on the pseudo-Deere. You can tell the difference. It was also alot more then I wanted to spend..

I finally decided to go with my gut instinct and bought a Sears Craftsman... I paid about half than the cost for a pseudo-Deere.. .lol
The Craftsman was on sale and I saved over 300 bucks on the thing. Parts can be picked up at the store or mailed to my house. No exotic or crazy expensive parts.. for the price of a Pseudo-J.D.or a Cubby I also got a bagger and a simple plow.. I can pull my buick in and out of the garage without any problems also.. It's not a farm tractor.. and I only have to cut an acre every week.. so I made out like a bandit... No complaints and I must have used it over a dozen times already..

I did a price camparo online and figured out what was my price range and expectations....

This is just my 2 cents....

well said JOHNDEEREGN!

Was searching for info and came across this site, seen the old rumor " JD does'nt make JD"....just get tired of morons who don't do their homework telling lies. The LA series is made in Tennensee by "JOHN DEERE" , not MTD or AYP, etc. They are made to compete with the box store mowers. They are "Lawn Tractors"...not Garden Tractors,Scuts,Cuts or anything else. They are for cutting lawns and are just as good as anything else in their price range.

Knife to a Gunfight....You play alot of video games don't you?....go get a job....

Didn't care where mine was made. Fit my budget and it is running great.

TEE HEE :D :biggrin: :D :biggrin: I hear ya MARK.

For my moms acre, my neighbors small clean lot (cut in 35min) and my Lot (also 30 min) The LA 105 fits my budget & what i want it for too. I believe and feel its going to last a long time at least 10 yrs. I have 7.7 hrs on it as of today, I already know maintenance is apart of it , and so far im satisfied unless i report in and let you guys hear a horror story. I keep it inside the shed so, so far so good:wink: besides the good thing about it is it does have a DANA SPICER transaxle in the rear you can see the label, I wasnt expecting that but its a nice cheaper brand mower overall for me that is.

If i was in the business to cut yard for a living then of course id get into the expensive zero turn mowers ,(Dixon, Simplicity, the higher end JDs ect.) No doubt about it. But with this economy, my wife just now getting a job, have to take care of my 13yr old daughter with school, my 35 min. yard to cut I think i did pretty good, only time will tell. Besides Im taking care of it like its a$4500 mower so i think that will go a long way. I believe i baby it too much. So in the end fellas i ended up with the John Deere LA 105 42 IN. CUT $1499 with free $200 cart @ Lowes so go ahead call me a cheap skate:biggrin: I call it : THRIFTY on a budget :biggrin: :D thanks for all that gave me info especially the Private messages.

I have the Cub Cadet RTZ 42 and I love it. Its the zero turn mower and it cut my mowing in half when I sold my Craftsman. 3 years and no problems yet.

TEE HEE :D :biggrin: :D :biggrin: I hear ya MARK.

For my moms acre, my neighbors small clean lot (cut in 35min) and my Lot (also 30 min) The LA 105 fits my budget & what i want it for too. I believe and feel its going to last a long time at least 10 yrs. I have 7.7 hrs on it as of today, I already know maintenance is apart of it , and so far im satisfied unless i report in and let you guys hear a horror story. I keep it inside the shed so, so far so good:wink: besides the good thing about it is it does have a DANA SPICER transaxle in the rear you can see the label, I wasnt expecting that but its a nice cheaper brand mower overall for me that is.

If i was in the business to cut yard for a living then of course id get into the expensive zero turn mowers ,(Dixon, Simplicity, the higher end JDs ect.) No doubt about it. But with this economy, my wife just now getting a job, have to take care of my 13yr old daughter with school, my 35 min. yard to cut I think i did pretty good, only time will tell. Besides Im taking care of it like its a$4500 mower so i think that will go a long way. I believe i baby it too much. So in the end fellas i ended up with the John Deere LA 105 42 IN. CUT $1499 with free $200 cart @ Lowes so go ahead call me a cheap skate:biggrin: I call it : THRIFTY on a budget :biggrin: :D thanks for all that gave me info especially the Private messages.

Glad to hear that Clark6....JD has been getting bashed about they're low end line, but they still have the JD quality in this market. I would agree 'Simplicity's are nice but they are more $$ for the spec. to spec.

Some people think you need to spend 10k to mow a 1/3 acre lawn...go buy a craftsman,husky,bolens,arians or whatever else for <2K... I'll keep my LA135...its a great little LT.

I have a Ranch King that is made by MTD it is a 1998 16.5 hp Briggs with a 42" deck I gave $25 dollars for it 6 years ago and I use the HE!! out of it. About an acre a week sometimes more I have done very little to it over the years maybe $200.00 in parts in the time that I have had it. The only thing I have done is to beef up the front lip on the deck.

I've been using a 1990 Kubota B7100 for the last (4) years, mowing (5) acres weekly and love it! Its a 3 cylinder diesel 4wd with a hydrastat. Original owners couldn't kill it, and it runs great for me. It's very fuel efficient too. Has a 60" mid mount deck and a rear PTO. Wish it was a little bit larger (18 HP), but its a great little tractor. I would highly recommend a Kubota to anyone, and tell them to get over the price, better yet buy a used one if you can find one.

My other tractor is a 1949 Ford 8N, use it mainly for bushogging and plowing. Its a great tractor too, extremely simple to work on....plus I love the sound of an old flathead!

Hey Clark.

How is that tractor doing?

I need to get one and remember reading this thread last year after messing with the belts - AGAIN - on the old tractor I was using. But then to get 15+ years out of a Montgomery Ward (MTD) tractor ain't bad: 18 HP twin B&S (engine still runs great), 42" deck.

Am seriously considering this Craftsman:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07128947000P?keyword=71-28947&sLevel=0

Since this type of stuff seems to get changed around a lot, as in what was well made in the USA yesterday might be Chinese parts assembled in Mexico today, I was wondering if anybody had any updates, good news, or warnings...

TIA

Man that Kohler engine on that craftsman is NICE!!! my last Craftsman still have a Kohler 15hp on it. still going, I left it parked in side a shed for the 1st 5yrs, then I bought a CBR 929 Honda. Both would fit but easier access with the mower out and gradually left it outside and you know the rest is history but i cut a buuuuunnnch of yard with that thing. Its over at my brothers house its wragged a little now but will still cut.

Now as for my JD i made the last $100 payment 2 weeks ago, I've crunk it twice doing the winter. Still going good no problems I believe I have around 19hrs on it, No problems only oil change and filter, definately kept in the shed.

I got a deal on a used Stihl ($300 new )weed eater I paid $75, its industrial grade, tuff tuff tuff.