You can type here any text you want

crank issue...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

meaclez

I was planning to freshening up the motor with new bearings and what not.
as i started to look at the crank i noticed that one of the connecting rods was rubbing on the counter weight of the crank...
the rod had almost no visable markings on it but the counter weight had a very small burr (or lip) from the rubbing..

this worried me so i sent the crank out to a machine shop and they said the crank might have been slightly bent????????

what can cause this to happen? the motor has never really been opened this much before so its all orginal with a good amount of miles on it. and boost.

I was planning to freshening up the motor with new bearings and what not.
as i started to look at the crank i noticed that one of the connecting rods was rubbing on the counter weight of the crank...
the rod had almost no visable markings on it but the counter weight had a very small burr (or lip) from the rubbing..

this worried me so i sent the crank out to a machine shop and they said the crank might have been slightly bent????????

what can cause this to happen? the motor has never really been opened this much before so its all orginal with a good amount of miles on it. and boost.

It may have just been an odd casting. They are cast cranks. Might just be a poorly ground (machined) parting line from the factory. If it is bent, they should be able to tell in 30 seconds. They just need to roll it in V-blocks with a dial indicator on it.

It may have just been an odd casting. They are cast cranks. Might just be a poorly ground (machined) parting line from the factory. If it is bent, they should be able to tell in 30 seconds. They just need to roll it in V-blocks with a dial indicator on it.

and odd casting would cause that randomly..the marking on the crank was not old from the looks of it.

Back