You can type here any text you want

Cranking slow- too much fuel?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbosam6

My cars suck
I have a FAST system, and when I start it, it cranks slow. The battery is charged, so thats not it. I think it has too much fuel, but not sure. Also, after it starts, it dies, usually twice, then it will run. If I put it in gear cold, it dies, but if I put it in gear cold and give it some gas, its OK. Its just for that split second where the tranny engages, if you gun it, it will idle on its own.

Also it seems to crank faster after the first time you try to start it. Thanks for any help!

This simply sounds like a cold, heavy oil problem to me. It isn't easy slinging a crank through that stuff at low temps.

If you don't mind my asking, what viscosity oil are you running and how cold is it over there these days?

It has been in the mid 60's when I was driving it, so its not that cold. I only run 10w30, I run 10w40 in the summer when it warms up. The a/f ratio is usually around 12.0 to 1, then goes to about 13 to 1 when I put it in gear, which according to people I've spoken to, is normal.

Before I guessed that you were too rich, I would guess that you have too much timing during cranking. How much advance do you have during cranking?

As far as the car dying, I wonder if you might want to add some after-start enrichment.

Or, if the problem doesn't occur if you let it idle for a few seconds, then I might try decreasing the "revs to run mode".

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

What IS the average timing during cranking? I'm chasing a starting problem. I could be a rotor phasing thing also. Just getting ideas.

Thanks, Paul

I run about 25 degrees max on cranking. YOU should make sure your iac is open enough or it will stall also.....cold. Bring the cranking iac postion to at least 150 or so, notice any changes. Also add afterstart at the coolant temp it stalls. Start the car once a day until it gets better by adding about 3 % more each day. If still no help the warmup enrichment table is next on the list to add. YOu want to datalog the startup and 1st minute of run time. Put it in gear and adjust the a/f in gear, nevermind in park!

I have the crank timing set at 20. IAC was about 135 if I recall correctly. The transition from park to in gear is smooth, it's just getting it to start. It cranks, and then will slow down the timing is going off. My bubble will stay in the 500 rpm range, and then spike to 5000, and then back down. Once it starts everything else is alright........ for now.:D

Back