You can type here any text you want

Crankshaft balancing.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

9SECVSIX

At what % is your Stg motor balanced at ,36.6 -40's -50%
What % is considered most favourable for stock 3.8 crank motors?

thanks
Brent

Stock Motors are balanced with a 36.6% factor. Internally balanced cranks can be done at 36.6 or 50%. I beleive most guys use a 50% factor for internally balanced cranks.

I am just about to send my crank out to get it spun and I am using a 50% factor.

Dave

Brent,

Dave is right, the stock rotating assy. is balanced at 36.6%. Buick did this for a reason. They purposely underbalanced the motor to eliminate the vertical imbalance and end up with a horizontal imbalance. Then Buick put in soft motor mounts to dampen the imbalance. This is why stock motors shake at an idle.

Most competition motors are balanced at 50% because this will minimize but not completely eliminate both the horizontal and vertical imbalance. 50% is thought to be the best balance when working with solid motor mounts also. If you read between the lines a bit the "Power Source" would lead you to believe that you can balance a Buick V6 anywhere between 36.6% and 50% and it will be fine.

I have mine balanced at 45% just because it worked out that way. My previous motor was balanced at 40% and that worked well also. BTW, I have some chips for 83# injectors now if you need some.

Talk to you later
Neal

Back