You can type here any text you want

Crankshaft Bolt

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Balancer Bolt Size

Thanks for the reply. I noted elsewhere that somebody used 1-1/8". A regular (12 point) socket that I held against it for size was quite loose. Noting that 219 ft-lbs are applied to this fitting, excess clearance is something that should be avoided.

I have not been able to locate a 28 mm impact socket. Bought a metric impact set yesterday and it only came with 27 (too small) and 29 (too big).

So, it looks like I'll have to pick up a 1-1/8" six point impact socket and hope that it fits better.

Best, Bob

Balancer Bolt

Thanks for the advice/encouragement. I bought the 1-1/8 impact socket (which also was a loose fit on the bolt) for 3/4" drive, used a 1/2" to 3/4" drive impact adapter in my 1/2" impact gun and got the bolt out. It's strange that this bolt is so far off from my toolset. I bought a 3/4" drive torque wrench to put it back on when the time comes.

Anyway, took the balancer off and discovered more bad news. The crankshaft snout is all rough/beat up on one side for about 1/2" from the end - so will eventually have to be taken out, re-welded and re-ground. Since I bought this car used, I have no idea what caused this. The previous owner was a maniac. Could have been detonation. Could have been imbalanced parts. Lots of work to do now... but at least now I can get the balancer on and off whenever I want.

Best, Bob

Anyway, took the balancer off and discovered more bad news. The crankshaft snout is all rough/beat up on one side for about 1/2" from the end - so will eventually have to be taken out, re-welded and re-ground. Since I bought this car used, I have no idea what caused this. The previous owner was a maniac. Could have been detonation. Could have been imbalanced parts. Lots of work to do now... but at least now I can get the balancer on and off whenever I want.

Best, Bob

May have come loose at one time.

May have come loose at one time.
"May have come loose...". Yes, probably accurate. I recall that the previous owner had the cam changed. I'm guessing that they didn't torque the crankshaft bolt properly and the balancer eventually "walked off" the end of the crank - damaging the snout. You should see this... The dopes hogged out the end of the snout where it was damaged and pressed in a hardened 3/8" thick washer (!) to correct the length. So the balancer has no support for about the last 1/2" of snout length. Incredible. So now I have to repair or replace the crankshaft. Not sure whether most crank shops can even handle a repair like this. Anybody know the part number for a new crankshaft?

If your looking for a stock replacement it shouldnt be hard to find a used one on here. Ive got one at the moment thats in great shape but if your looking for a forged crank try Jack Cotton, DLS or some other vendors on the board. Mine came from DLS but it took me a while to find a forged crank a couple months ago. PM me if your interested

Back