You can type here any text you want

Crankshaft Measurement

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rubrburnr

I need to know what the measurements are on a stock crankshaft. I don't think it was turned 10/10 but I want to make sure. Just a micrometer would work I guess...right?

I have always wanted to ask this question - with relation to this subject.

In a hypothetical situation, if a crankshaft is cut 0.010" say on the mains - to achieve an ultimate oil clearance of 0.002" - this would be 2.500" - 0.010" = 2.490" for the crankshaft main journal OD.

What would the needed dimension be for the ID of the journal bore w/ bearing intact need to measure for this 0.002" oil clearance dimension?

Would the ID need to be:

Option A ---> 2.490" + 0.002" = 2.492" - this gives 0.001" above & below the journal.

Option B ---> 2.490" + (0.002" * 2) = 2.494" - this gives 0.002" above & below the journal.

I know that it is done the other way around, where the line bore/hone is conducted 1st, the bearings are installed in the cradels & measurements are taken here - and then the crankshaft is cut accordingly, yet, is the difference between the dimensions of the Crankshaft OD & it's corresponding housing w/ bearing 2/1000" or 4/1000" ?

Just curious.

TIA

Back