Crazy Idea

samandw

I have neither the time nor resources to pull this off, but thought some of you might find this intertaining:

92 Corvette:
Wheelbase: 96.2"
Track (fr): 57.7"
Track (rr): 59.1"
Weight: 3223 lbs
1/4 mile: 14.1's (stock)

92 Typhoon:
Wheelbase: 100.5"
Track (fr): 57.8"
Track (rr): 58.0"
Weight: 3800 lbs
1/4 mile: 14.1's (stock)

Drop a Typhoon drivetrain out of a wrecked ty/sy into a C4 vette. Judging by where the engine on a C4 sits (water pump even with front wheel centerline), I think a V6 (4.3, or even better, a Stage block) in the same location would allow the engine to be placed at the same height as the V8 without interference with the front diff. I'm sure an AWD V6 powered corvette would have the purists wanting to kill you, but hey, AWD and the ability to fit 315's all the around would make for killer times on street radials ;)

I'm sure y'all think I'm crazy, but that's ok, I'm the first to admit it :p

ah... time for some revenge.....

Forget the syphon/typhoid rear end, stick with the vette piece, much better idea and the sy/ty stuff was a solid not a IRS. Stage block and 4.3 chebby motor.... totatlly different animals other than they have 6 cylinders and are both 90deg engines. You'd want a bowtie block, thats the chebby race peice. I think you'd run in to far more problems trying to get a tilt nose 'vette to swallow that combination than you think, there is far more to that than just track widths. Also the sy/ty drivetrains are rare, notoriously failure prone and the liquid to air intercoolers are know to leak all over everything occasionally. I'd like to see you do it, but its got far more issues than you or I are seeing. Get something really unexpected and do that to it, say a 84 Electra or something.

Good point on the Bowtie block, I knew they existed but wasn't sure what they where called (I'm not a chevy guy ;) ). Also, good point on the IRS, just use the transfer case and transmission from the ty/sy send the rear drive-shaft to the vette rear, and transplant a coilover-modified ty/sy front up front. I'll probably never have the money to do it, but it's fun to think about. . .

IMO, just use the *Syclone* engine, manifolds etc, and a 200R4.

Then use the latest version vetter brakes you can get. One trick is doing two foot driving, and using the ABS to eliminate any understeer/ oversteer. It takes ALOT of practice to master, but it's dynamite when done correctly.

The AWD adds alot of weight, and complexity. Not to mention you'd have to raise the body off the chassis or cut the floor pan to make room for the transfer case, and forward axle.

IMO, it takes alot of $$ and carbon fiber to get a vette down to a reasonable weight.

Yeah,

I just like AWD cause you can get stellar acceleration on performance radials, without resorting to slicks. It'd be fun to put a street-tired Vette into the mid 10's doncha think? :D Anyways, I'm just dreaming, I'll probably never have the money to pull something off like this. . .All the input is helpful incase I win the sweepstakes someday though ;) Thanks!

samandw said:
I just like AWD cause you can get stellar acceleration on performance radials, without resorting to slicks.

By the time you figure in the HP lost to the transfer case, front axles, differential, it's just not that great, IMO. Some clever traction control would do more forya. Once, the car gets rolling, and your more or less out of area of wheel spin, the AWD just slows you down. For a tail heavy Supercar, it's a crutch to keep the drivers from backing into things, from the lack of driver control, IMO.

*You'd* do better, with a 9" rear end, and proper suspension then the oem vette package, if straight line is your main concern.

bruce said:
Once, the car gets rolling, and your more or less out of area of wheel spin, the AWD just slows you down.

I have a hard time believing that. My relatively mild GN (see sig) will smoke the tires at 50 mph :D (265-55-15's)

And I did mention 10 second 1/4's, which I'm pretty sure is impossible on radials (with RWD) without an insane trap speed (and the potential for way better times with traction). Case in point: I've seen a Syclone click off consistant 11.1's on street radials (NOT drag radials), with a matching trap speed. I don't know of any GN's that can pull that off. Please correct me if I'm wrong :confused:

I know if a 99 vette that runs 10.50s on drag radials with no major suspension mods. I hate to be a prick but AWD is heavy and it robs power. My family owns a 93 Typhoon.... Theyre not incredibley fast and they sure as hell are not durable when modded. Have fun with your 4wd vette though, it will be one of a kind.. Thats for sure. ;)

samandw said:
I have a hard time believing that. My relatively mild GN (see sig) will smoke the tires at 50 mph :D (265-55-15's)

And I did mention 10 second 1/4's, which I'm pretty sure is impossible on radials (with RWD) without an insane trap speed (and the potential for way better times with traction). Case in point: I've seen a Syclone click off consistant 11.1's on street radials (NOT drag radials), with a matching trap speed. I don't know of any GN's that can pull that off. Please correct me if I'm wrong :confused:

Tire size does play a part in the equation.
With 285/40x17s, or 315/35x17s, you'd have a whole lot more bite, and I'd consider those tire sizes more in line with what a hybred vette would want, or have. BTW, did you notice he spec'd 315s anyway?.

We, can all pick out someone else's car/ truck that does certain things rather well, but, the point was, for the average guy doing a hybred swap with a vette, IMO, the AWD isn't that big, or might possibly be of no advantage to what he wants.

Doing any sort of 10 takes alot more then most folks realise anyway, IMO. For the work to get a 10 with AWD, vs a 10 with 2WD, I'd imagine would take about the same amount of work and money. Yes, the AWD will 60' better for a given amount of work, but it's still consumes alot of HP at the big end.

Either way a GN, or Sy engine with a 200R4, and Ford 9" would, work for me.
Not to mention the price of a good Sy front driveshaft, if they're the same as a few years ago, could fund alot of other pieces.

Just take the old "mako" 'vette and mate it with a GN drivetrain and show up at Carlslise (sorry to lazy to look up correct spelling) and wreak havoc on the unsuspecting "purists" there! :D :D :D

bruce said:
Doing any sort of 10 takes alot more then most folks realise anyway, IMO. For the work to get a 10 with AWD, vs a 10 with 2WD, I'd imagine would take about the same amount of work and money. Yes, the AWD will 60' better for a given amount of work, but it's still consumes alot of HP at the big end.

If one was wanting to do an AWD like this, an electronic switchable T-case like later model Astros came with would be the better bet, I believe it will disengage in motion and is a relative of the case used in a Syclone which was an early model Astro T-case. This wouldn't get rid of all the drag (the front axle's friction and rotating weight comes to mind) but it would help. When it comes to it though, I don't think there's any way in hell for clearing the T-case/front driveshaft honestly.

I was thinking of doing the astro van swap--that was before I found my TTA shell for $5,000

I do have an extra gn engine and 3 200r4's sitting in the garage--maybe I could sell the tranny's to get cash for the project--oh--got an extra TTA wiring harness too

now that I got an avalanche for the family hauler--I'm thinking about a Jeep wrangler with turbo power--maybe a 2.3 ford to save gas

anyone want to buy an eagle talon--its not stock