You can type here any text you want

Crazy Intercooler idea

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
OK,

Now lets take that concept to the next level. We build a sheetmetal/large plenum tunnelram type intake manifold. The plenum "Top" is the intercooler core (smaller more efficient core). The throttle body feeds hot compressed air into the plenum top which is then cooled to acceptable levels to allow us to do much deeper into the ignition map than conventional intercoolers.

No more piping air to and from an intercooler, reduced turbo lag, easy plumbing for twins.

And, this idea is already being done with water on the STS-V and XLR-V supercharged engines.

Wish I had unlimited funds and more time............

That probably wouldn't work very good. Even the A/C in the passenger compartments can barely cool 100* temps down to 40* with a low volume of air passing through the core.

Ford's patented SuperCooler

SVT boss John Coletti and his team of engineers come up with a quick blast/burst of power utilizing the AC on their 2003 Lightning concept pickup. To go Head on with the SRT10 pickup that Dodge was going to release. The Lightning concept was rated at 500hp. Their Patented design was for the AC to chill a small storage tank of coolant that was then circulated thru IC on WOT signal. The AC chilled this coolant to 30 degrees F. A light in the dash would let you know that system was charged and ready to go. This according to their tests caused the SuperCooler to dissipate heat better by almost 20% producing a denser aircharge . This short cooling blast was good for 30-40 seconds most importanty it produced 50 Hp. The system would be able to recharge itself in 2-3 minutes of normal driving.

The engine was an all aluminum DOHC with 2 injectors per cylinder. They were waitng for the SRT10 to come out and play.

What's nice about a system like this is it's recharges it's self unlike N20, CO2 you have bottles to fill. It would be awesome to have a system similar that would work on our Buicks on demand for the street or strip rechills/recharges in 2 minutes you could run all day. Couldn't use air/air IC, a liquid/air with it's normal IC coolant circulation lines and then lines from the chilled coolant tank that switch over during WOT blast. Dissipating heat by almost 20 is way cool. They didn't have pics but I would imagine the tank and lines AC to IC would have to be insulated quite well to get the small tank chilled to 30 degrees. A small tank getting chilled is concievable a much smaller volume/area to cool off then the passenger compartment.

Great ideas guys ..

Let me preface this with, I know nothing about the feasiblity this hair brained idea I had...
Using an ammonia based refridgerant system (like the ones in non-electric RV refridgerators) to cool the IC. Perhaps the ammonia could be heated/pressurized with heat from the exhaust manifold then cycled to expansion tubes on the IC. Its ok to laugh!!

300KGN- i believe that ammonia is highly corrosive- which is one of the reasons for not using in commercial refrigeration systems anymore.if any leaks developed i believe you would have one big mess.

I have seen a similar system before in a old Turbo mag.

This guy in Abu Dhabi, UAE had a dodge dually w/ a v10. They TT'd the sucker and had a h2o to air spearco IC setup.
They used a toyota a/c system to cool the water down.
It could cool 250 f air charge down to 59-65 degrees. It was in a 12 gallon ice chest for the reservoir and the cooling for the IC plugged into the cig lighter. And a back up air to air if the a/c one failed. The truck used solar power to power the a/c system when parked and the engine off to cool the water down.
Freakin truck would do 180 mph and had 510 rwhp/772 ft lb tq @ 10 psi. I will go look for the mag

Found it ....Its the Jul 98 issue. I checked the site but its probably to old and has no link...wish I had a scanner.
There is even a turbo buick fix and repair (tps, ic conn, maf, etc) article in the mag back when they were still covering our cars reguarlly.

Back