Crazy weekend with the car now some questions....

kirbdawg69

I hate my sceen name :(
So worked on my AC over the week. I replaced all the O-rings, the dryer, compressor, Oriface tube, and filled it with R-12. When I replace the Oriface tube I did change it out to the red Ford tube. Im not really sure if I installed it completely right. I remember that I was stuggling to get it seated all the way.

So I go for a test drive and have the AC on and everything is fine and danndy, temp was around 80's.... until I noticed that my engine temps started to climb (in traffic). Get on the freeway and expect the temps to recover and they never do. I have a large Be Cool radator with 50/50 water and the orange anit freeze with a little bit of water wetter and normal driving temps are 165 freeway and 190 in traffic if hot out. I know that my electric fan isn't pulling enough air while in traffic and the car will slowly climb in temp but hasnt been a problem before, as it climbs so slow that it never got over 200 before.

On my test drive with the AC on the freeway the car's temps never came back down and I noticed that the car was stuggling with rolling. Got off the freeway turned off the AC and felt the brakes dragging. I have a Hydroboost set up and Baer disk brakes all the way around the car. I have never had a problem before with the brakes. while in traffic looking for a parking place I shut the car off and turn it back on and it got the brakes to unstick. I thought this was really wierd as it seemed like an electrical thing but the hydroboost is ran off the steering pump.

At this point I found a parking place and went and checked out a car show while the GN cooled down. I figured that my electrial fan wasnt good enough to do the job when the AC was on in traffic. About 2 years ago when the AC was charged before I didnt have that much trouble with the AC but I was living in Oregon and now I am in SoCal and figured it was just warmer here.

To test my theory on my electrial fan not doing its job enough I left the AC off untill I got on the freeway. Every thing was great for a while, cold AC, engine temps were low 190's (normal would be mid 160's low 170's). I figure with AC on the temps should be a little higher. Right before I got off the freeway I noticed that the brakes were dragging again. Pulled off to take a look at things and noticed that the AC compressor was really hot, which in turned made the power steering pump hot which heated up the hydroboost unit, which caused the brake fluid to get hot and cause the brakes to drag.

My car didnt have a chance.... with the AC on the cooling air being hotter and then the brakes dragging making the car work harder it would never cool down. I think that my AC compressor and AC unit is too hot. When I worked on the system I bought the mineral oil for R12 from Napa and put 5 3/4 oz of fluided in the system, the book calls for 6 oz. and I put 5 3/4 oz. as I figured that there was around 1/4 in the system as I didnt flush the system. 2 oz. in the compressor and 3 3/4 in the drier.

My questions:

Would an unseated Oriface tube cause a restriction and cause the AC system to run hot?
How hot should my AC compressor get?
Did I not add enough oil in the AC system?
What difference in engine temps do you see with the AC on then off?
Why when my hydroboost system was hot and making the brakes drag did turning the car off and right back on cause them to unfreeze?

If you have stuck thru this the whole time thank you in advance for any input.

Sounds like what happen to me! While ur driving around normal what is ur boost gauge reading for vacuum? As the car heats up does it feel like u got to give it more gas?
My car is hydro boost and I replace the power steering side of it with a reman unit from autozone. And while I was driving it I notice that it became a turd,felt like something was dragging. intil the front brakes completely locked up to the point where it melted my hub caps!!!
In the end and 4 months later of not driving the car I figured it out!
The acculator rod in the power steering side was to long and pushing on the MC. Which Was making fluid hot! So I just use 2 thick washers from lowes on both sides to space it out just a tad and bam it fixed it!! Hope this helps

I need to know what is causing my AC system to heat up... or if they all run hot.. I have not ran AC and have the Hydroboost system at the same time. I did the swap right after the AC quit working (leaking O-ring). Or confirmation that the Oriface tube will cause an obscuction if installed wrong.

Scotty did the Reman pump make alot of noise? How did it perform? Mine hates life.

Did you pull a deep vacuum on the system and weigh in the refrigerant charge? An over charged a/c system can cause this issue . Easiest way to help determine this is to check your system pressure on both the low and high side of system to see how its operating .

I pulled vacuum for a little over an hour. I only put 3lbs into the system. I had a little of 50 on the low side and about 230 on the high side when I quit charging the system. I didnt think that was too high, was it? Also when I have the AC on and turn the car off the hissing noise is pretty intense by the dryer, I was thinking the first time or two that the both the high side and low side need to equal out and it would kinda fix itself but maybe that is becuase I charged it to high.

I need to put the gauges back on it tonight. To get a correct reading I need the AC compressor on correct? what would or should read if the car isnt even running? As you can tell I'm a little new at the whole AC game :)

Scotty did the Reman pump make alot of noise? How did it perform? Mine hates life.

The reman pump is awesome! I kept my original one and match them up and all the numbers match and it quiet! Mine is a 85ttype with a 87 IC conversion on it! Only problem was the rod was to long in the reman one

well my power steering pump and hydroboost have been a happy couple for about 3-4 years now with no trouble. I havnt had AC during this time and just fixed it. I didnt get to put gauges on it last night but after alot of thought about it I think its over charged and not enough air flow while not in traffic.