You can type here any text you want

decisions to make asap

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

corkatoa

have my 87 109 block at the machine shop. Crank is good, need pistons ( at 4 thou) and rings. Having engine balanced, crank has been polished
http://www.teambuick.com/forums/showthread.php?25280-GN-Crank-Casting-229
Stock turbo, downpipe TBD, everything ported for sure. Aftermarket parts: TB, 50# inj, chip, Upper intake, fuel pump.
Have to decide on pistons(.010 or .030), etc asap. Thinking of ARP rod bolt kit for sure, and maybe a speed-pro rebuild kit?
Making a drive through the BC mountains car, not a 1/4 mile car. No expense to be spared, going to drive it hard for sure.

Happening right now.

I would bore it the least amount that would make the cylinders round. If you can go 10 over you would leave some meat for another build if something scores the cylinder walls in the future. Definitely go with forged pistons. With that type of driving you need to find what RPM range you will be running mostly to be able to pick the right camshaft.

What Darth Buick said but at least go with 60# injectors so you have room to grow.

What Darth Buick said but at least go with 60# injectors so you have room to grow.
I am using what I have on hand, which is an extender chip programmed for 50# injectors. I have been reading the porting thread and I will be doing what I can with the stock parts.
Would have been happy with a stock engine so any upgrades will be good enough for me.
Having a problem locating a rebuild kit with .010 pistons; plenty of pistons and rings, but no complete kits. Am I missing something on the site? I have been reading all I can find, not to many mild rebuild threads here!! Understandable, I guess.
Camshaft is also confusing, trying to determine that right now.
And finally, the downpipe is confusing me as well. I am going to get a stock one to begin with and will upgrade later so I can see the difference.

Thanks for advice.

.010 over pistons are available but usually are the nice high quality ones. .030 Speed Pro forged are cheaper and more common. I read where you said spare no expense and thought JE or equivalent. Do not rush it these parts take a little longer to acquire. After building over 50 small and big block Chevy's I was used to finding what I needed in a day.

Thanks for the info, but not sure they are for me.

To keep my machinist moving forward, I have ordered the ARP rod bolt kit, 123-6001.

While I dont mind spending $$ (car is going frame off for metal work, new doors,etc.), I just can't see the need to spend $1000+ just for pistons. Anything I find that are 0.010 over seem overly expensive. As I am not looking to make huge power, I think I am going with the cheap federal mogul 0.030 kit, mhp111-311. With the aforementioned advice on patience, I will continue researching, but have to order fairly soon. I have rebuilt several sbc and am not used to the difficulty in parts acquisition. And honestly, was never too worried about the quality of the parts as much as I am with this engine.

I can't seem to find much opinion anywhere about this kit; only one post that is positive. Anybody ever used it? Someone has to buy the next kit off the shelf I suppose, and I just sold some cutlass interior parts for almost the exact amount and need to spend the paypal balance before my wife does.

Next is the camshaft, which I am still wading through the posts. Seems a simple decision. Hahaha.

Next is the camshaft, which I am still wading through the posts. Seems a simple decision. Hahaha.

You should contact Mike at FullThrottle or Bison for cam selection and save yourself a lot of time . Sam

Whatever your selection of camshaft make sure it is of the ROLLER variety, that is if you care anything for reliability and longevity.

Buy the forged .10 over Pistons

JE, Diamond or CP are all good. Any of the Buick vendors can get them as a kit for you with the rebuild kit.

Just remember .......... Cheap....... Fast........Reliable....... pick 2 . I tend to spend more $$ on parts that I don't want to have to replace again due to what would be involved in their replacement . If you plan on driving it hard , build the bottom end strong . Don't scrimp on the foundation . Do you plan on doing this all over again a season or so down the road ? Good Luck with your build , Sam .

Back