You can type here any text you want

Deep Pearl Purple Mustang with Big Tach/Shift Light/Cage

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Epitome

Staff member
I here a rumble come in by my house a few minutes ago and it's these two guys in their 20s in a very nice looking deep pearl purple stang with big tach/shift light/cage and big rims with wide tires out back looking for directions. They missed their turn by one street, so after I gave them the right directions here is my conversation with the driver:

Me: "Is that thing fast?"
Him: "The guy I bought it from says it runs 10s"
Me: "Everyone has a 10 second car nowadays, so you've never raced it?"
Him: "Nope, but this thing is crazy"
Me: "Mind if I stop over with my Grand National and maybe take a run at you?"
Him: (not cocky, nice guy): "Sure, there are some other fast cars over there too, a 98 Z28 and a Monte"
Me: "I'm really only interested in you, cause if what you say is true you can kill them"
Him: (with a smile): "Ok, well, we'll see later then"
Me: "I'll be there is 45 minutes to an hour.....and I guess we'll find out if you have a 10 second car (kind of sarcastic with a smile)

I was really hoping he'd be more cocky, but he was really nice and the car was clean as a whistle and seemed to run well, he chirped 1st to 2nd on the way out (grin). I'll get more details about the car and let you all know how it goes :)

A late model Mustang owner that's nice is always a good find. :D Sounds like a cool guy....did he just move there or is he just visiting the area? Just curious. :D Good luck on the race.

Well....you guys will be disappointed. I go over there with 114 in the tank and 13 lbs of pressure in my drag radials ready to go at it. I pull in and he approaches my car and starts looking it over. He then asks me, "what's that computer for"? I said it was just for tuning and that's when one of his friends remembers me from a car show last year. I start talking to his friend who was pretty cool and find out he has a 63 Nova that's pretty fast. The guy with the mustang then says "oh, you have stickys on the back". I tried to down play my BFG DRs by saying, "they're not street slicks or anything, they're 10,000 mile tires that only really work well on a clean road, which we don't have". It didn't work, he decided he didn't want to race me. He did show me his car later. It is supercharged with nitrous and very clean. It did have A LOT of extra weight in the back with speakers and equalizers (no backseat). He joked and said he needed the weight to help get traction. Apparently he's only had the car for a week and he bought it from someone in Florida and he had it shipped up here to NY. They were all really nice car guys, no attitudes and the guy with the Nova was very knowledgable for his age (20, I'd say). I do think the guy with the stang was smart to avoid racing....he would have lost, though it was definitely one of the nicer ones I've seen :)

He would have and lost and worse yet may have damaged his car since it is new and he probably does not know how to run it.

Nice Tang?

Maybe, just maybe, they weren't "lost". Just casin' the place as they too want a GN and found one that was already "done"!!

LOCK THE DOORS!!:D :D

Nah....my car is safe. If you knew where I lived you'd understand. They were harmless, nice guys :)

Sounds like the guy was cool and knew better than to try the old V6 Regal. I've talked to a couple of guys that have bought cars that were supposed to be 10 second capable, but I'd say 5 times out of 10 they're not. The thing I find with most Stangs, F-bodies, etc., is that some of them will look and sound like they should run 10's or even 9's, but the norm run 12's and I even saw one older lime green 5.0 Stang that sounded and looked like a solid 10 second car with skinnies up front and slicks in the back, caged, monster tach with shift light, sounded very nasty, and had a big blue bottle in the back, but on motor the guy was running high 12's @105mph and on the juice he was running low 12's @112mph, but the funny part was nobody wanted any of the car cause he told me he could never get a race when driving it around town. With TRs it's usually the total opposite and a good amount of guys think that it will be an easy kill and then they have to find out the hard way about the Dark Side!!!:D

Hmmm a blower with Nitrous:D

That could very well be a 9 second car, and your assuming he would of lost so quick?

Well then why was he scared off by a computer and pair of BFG DRs??? Also, I don't think it's common for a 9 second mustang to have a LOT of extra weight in the back with speakers and equalizers. Just because a mustang has a blower and nitrous this does NOT make it a 9, 10, 11, or even 12 second car in some cases as I've seen. I'm sure if it was 9 second capable mustang Epitome would have seen and heard it coming from a mile away cause like I mentioned in my previous post I've seen Stangs that sounded and looked like 9 and 10 second cars run 12's, so what does that tell you. Also, keep in mind if the guy just got the car he probably hasn't had time to learn how to race it too well. Very rarely do you run into a 9 second car that is street driven, so I seriously doubt that. Chances are if the guy claims it's a 10 second car and doesn't want to run a GN with a computer and drag radials it's probably more like an 11 or 12 second car, but he wants people to think it's faster.

The car sounded mean and looked mean.....but who cares? My car was tuned for high 10s possible at the track and I had tires that would hook MUCH better than his wide, but standard radials. Even if it was a 9 second car (I doubt it was even an 11 second car) I have a good shot because of the hook. I never fear a car with regualr radials.......doesn't mean I'll win, but let's all agree the odds are in my favor :)

You dont think its what he claims because he has a system in the back? heh...dont come to Florida...i know some black guys with some Monte's and Camaro's with 15's in the trunk with amps and what not that ive personally seen run single digit numbers on stock suspension. Can you tell us a little bit more about the setup? Motor, heads, intake, blower, what size shot, etc.? If its setup right making good power, and has a good amount of boost and a nice shot, its easily a 9 second Mustang. The car actually sounds a bit familiar...did he buy it from a guy in North FL area? Have Draglites on it? 2 1/2-3" Cowl? If so, i know a bit about the car, and im sure you would have been suprised if the guy can drive. There are definetely alot of Mustangs, F-bodys, Chevelles, etc. that look and sound like 10 second or better cars, but are actually low 12 into the 11 second cars, which is still respectable. So he was on regular radials? And you were on BFG Comp T/A's that were down to 13lbs..so you probably had a bit of a *wrinkle* wall that the BFG's get, i would have been wondering the same too, especially if he smelt the sweet smell of that 114 octane :) But anyways, sounds like you have a strong car, maybe you guys should run under the same conditions? Let us know if anything happens.

Will
TCH Racing

I was on 275/60/15 BFG Drag Radials, they don't look terribly low at that psi. He admitted that the car weighed a lot. The back seat was removed and was all speakers and big amps underneath them. Looked like a Vortech or Paxton type supercharger. The nitrous system is supposedly there, but well hidden. I know nothing else about the setup. I guess it could be fast, but every time I ask someone how fast their car is nowadays everyone says they have something way faster than reality. There are so few true 11 second street cars around, much less 10 and even 9 second cars, I have learned to be very skeptical. I raced a guy in a red 1996 Supra last year that supposedly was tuned and running high 11s on the street. I had pump gas in and tuned for high 11s myself (11.60s-11.80s). I raced him from a stop, I raced him from a slow roll, I raced him from a 55mph kickdown.......and beat him badly every time. We all know that Supras can be made to be very fast, especially from a roll, but he was flat out lying or just didn't know what he was talking about. The point is, talking numbers and HP and running it is two different things. Be skeptical, very skeptical :)

SprchrgdPony, the guy had standard radial tires, just bought the car therefore he probably wouldn't have been able to drive it to well, and on top of that the GN was in full race trim with a sticky set of BFG DRs (tuned for high 10s at the track) so do you really think it would have been very possible for the Stang to win???:confused: From a dig like the race would have happend the GN would have simply left the Stang cause remember the GN was set to launch and the Stang was NOT (standard radials won't work with a car making a good amount of power), and to say the Stang runs 9's is a joke cause you don't even know the combo. Hell I saw a '96 GT with the basic bolt ons and a Vortech run 13.40's @107mph, but from the way you guys seem to think if a Stang has a blower it's automatically an 11 second car. :rolleyes: I'm not debating that there's 9 second street Stangs, but being honest they aren't the norm as you guys like to make it sound. I've seen GN's with full interiors and speakers that run single digits also, but it's not the norm and you won't hear me claiming that if a GN has a big turbo with NOS it could be a 9 second car, although, it very well might be it's not common. That's like me saying I've seen a Camaro with a BBC and NOS so it must be a 9 second car....... it's not a 9 second car unless I know the combo and it has run in the 9's!!!

Blowers NOS etc

Im glad looks is what makes the E.T with that in mind im putting a PT88 on my ride and a 3 stage Nitrous fogger system . Reminds me of my buddy bragging about his 500 hp LSC . Supercharged, ported heads, cam ,intake etc . Well to make a long story i told him he didnt have S@4t until he had a slip in his hand at least. Well he laid down a 16 something pass at 85mph . After laughing my ass off i knew something was wrong , got it figured out and his boat 4000 lb LSC went 13.05@108 in street trim so he was happy but that shoe must have tasted crappy for a while .

Man what a bummer. I would have done it with the Mustang, but I wouldn't juice it. So what if I lose, I would have a "target" to shoot for. There's no money on a race so who cares? I'm in it for the fun. When we were 16, we raced in Beetles and Fairmonts, etc. Cars were DOG slow, but we didn't care.

I am not doubting that the Mustang has turned a 10 second pass sometime in its life, but I really doubt it would with regular radials and a new driver/owner. Look at what can be done to a relatively stock TR, go from low 14's to low 12's with no new parts, just lots of tuning. If the guy in the mustang didn't know how to drive it and it wasn't tuned anything close to what it should be, I doubt he could even get a low 12 out of it the way it was sitting. Not saying it isnt capable of a 10 second timeslip, just not in that condition.

Street Stangs

Most are overrated, But some can run as we all know just like with GN'S and TTA'S there are more than a few that can run with the best of them.

Speaking of fast stangs than run, some friends of mine just finished building there street Legal car expected to run well into the 7's First time out the car went 8.12's with the small turbo so I don't doubt 7's with tuning and good conditions

The car only has 1800HP with the small Turbo lol and 2000HP :eek: With the Big Turbo, They are some guys who own a speed shop here locally that I have known for years They will racing In Billy Glidden Class which I believe is flying.. I know this is a Buick site Not a stang site !

but it is funny watching guys you ran around with in the early days of 12 and 13 sec cars "when this was flying" being able to run In the 7's WOW

Back