Deep scratch on steering column

Y

yosshimura

I used noticed that their is a scratch on the top of my steering column about an inch long...width? about as wide as a small paper clip tip (make sense? :confused: )...

It was caused by that dumb collar you put around the steering column for theft prevention :mad: . Guess the weight, the heat.. .....:rolleyes:

So, now I want to fill it, sand it, and touch it up with the matching interior paint. I got the paint, but am unsure what to use for filler. :( Any ideas?

I am thinking of that filler that is used on the body to fill hair lines in the primer prior to painting, but not sure ....

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/yosshimura/

I have the same problem! Where did you find the paint? Is it spray can or touch-up bottle? Paul.

Kirban. It is spray paint, but I will just be dabbing it with a small piece of clothe or somethin...no spraying... They do sell it to brush on, I am told.

I fixed my scratch this wknd with some putty used to fill in scratchs in primer when you are painting cars. Letting it dry all week, will sand it a bit next wknd, and paint. We'll see how it turns out.

At the parts stores they have these little plastic paint brushes with a little ball of brushes at the tip. It would make following the scratch easier. Like doing a scratch on the body. Get some super fine (1500 grit) sandpaper and lightly sand in the new paint. Put a dab of compound on a rag and go to work. Follow with some polish.