You can type here any text you want

Degree the cam- results

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GBGN1

stroked
So me and a friend last night degreed my short block last night ( comp roller 218/212) . To be right on we should have gotten 112 but got 113 1/2. Is this too much?? Will it effect performance?
On a side note we originally had the crank advanced 2 teeth and when we tryed to turn the engine over the rods hit the cam. When installing the marks straight up there was no clearance problems. And was only off 1 1/2 degrees. Will there be any foreseeable problems?

Why don't you just advance it 2*? then it will only be off .5*. If it's a stock style cam you could open up the cam gear holes with a grinder and turn the cam to get it where you want. Turning the cam clockwise would advance it. You only need to turn it counterclockwise about .25* if you used the 2* advance key way and verified it was at 111.5* CL before altering the cam gear. Then use loc tite on the cam gear bolts.

Hey Bison that's a great idea , I'm going to look at doing it. I just didnt know how much performance I'd be leaving on the table with this roller by leaving it of the 1.5 %
Thanks

Depending on the lobes, separation, and backpressure/manifold pressure the performance could vary at different cam timings. There's no correct answer to it. There are some general trends though.

Comp makes a 9 position crank sprocket if you want to fine tune cam timing without the grinding and such. Honestly a degree or a degree and a half won't mean much to all but the most aggressive combos. After all you are really just sliding your powerband up or down the RPM range of the engine.

Food for thought...Comp normally grinds a 4 degree advance in most performance applications unless you tell them not to. I don't order many off the shelf grinds, but I always double check with my guy on LSA and C/L when "building" a cam over the phone. I use some unconventional lobe to core matches and that can present problems with clearances...especially on big journal cores.

I'd advance the cam a couple of degrees like Brian suggested. You may want to double check your clearance between the big end of the rod and the cam then re-profile the rod / bolt a bit to give you some additional clearance. Installing the cam several degrees advanced will insure that it won't be too far retarded when the timing chain stretches after the engine has been in service.

Neal

Double check your cam card before you do anything.....in fact I would roll the engine through and match your opening and closing events with the card as well.

So me and a friend last night degreed my short block last night ( comp roller 218/212) . To be right on we should have gotten 112 but got 113 1/2. Is this too much?? Will it effect performance?
On a side note we originally had the crank advanced 2 teeth and when we tryed to turn the engine over the rods hit the cam. When installing the marks straight up there was no clearance problems. And was only off 1 1/2 degrees. Will there be any foreseeable problems?

2 teeth is a lot more than 2 degrees

Back