You can type here any text you want

delay when shifting rmvb th400

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

kidglok

Balls Deep
what can cause a momentary delay from when i pull the handle to the shift actually ocurring? this happens at WOT only. The shifts look good on a log, no flaring or anything, but i have to pull the handle about 800rpm sooner to have it shift when i want. thanks guys.

its a hipster transbrake rmvb

what can cause a momentary delay from when i pull the handle to the shift actually ocurring? this happens at WOT only. The shifts look good on a log, no flaring or anything, but i have to pull the handle about 800rpm sooner to have it shift when i want. thanks guys.

its a hipster transbrake rmvb

My Guess,
You may have really stiff return springs with a lot of clutch clearance. You notice it at WOT because the need for quick shift makes it more obvious then part throttle. The drum voulume is higher because of dual feeding and takes longer to fill. Look for passage restrictions going to the direct feed. There may also be some leakage between the center support and case. Depending on how the VB directs oil, you may be able to eliminate a leak path by plugging one of the holes in the center support.

Allan G.

well, pulled the pan today in hopes of finding out whats been going on, and we found this:
theres maybe a dozen passes on this trans and a few thousand street miles, if that many.
IMG_3937.jpg
IMG_3939.jpg
IMG_3940.jpg

Can't really see but one picture looks like fine alumimun particals and another looks like small piecies of something. Regardless should take it apart and do some exploritory surgery.
Allan G.

Can't really see but one picture looks like fine alumimun particals and another looks like small piecies of something. Regardless should take it apart and do some exploritory surgery.
Allan G.

Oh yea def, where would the aluminum come from?

Unless it has some aftermarket aluminum rotating components the only place it can come from is the case. A delay in shifting could be a sign of something wrong between the center support and case.
Allan G.

I'll take a shot. My guess is that it's plugged the lube passage and locked up the rear thrust and spun the 3 tab washerin the back of the case.

I'll take a shot. My guess is that it's plugged the lube passage and locked up the rear thrust and spun the 3 tab washerin the back of the case.

thats an interesting statement, because there was traces of bronze material in the fluid as well.

thats an interesting statement, because there was traces of bronze material in the fluid as well.
If thats the case you may see some further evidence if you take the tailshaft housing off.
Allan G.

If thats the case you may see some further evidence if you take the tailshaft housing off.
Allan G.

gonna look into it over the next few days. i hope its not the converter, car drove fine.

Im gonna look for another trans in the meantime

Back