DFI, what needs to be done, thinking about purchasing!

V6UnderPressure

The Artist FKA Scott4DMny
I have a few questions, 1.)What is the best one to get and what are cost ranges. 2.) What needs to be done to install it, how long does it take, is it worth it? 3.)What does it eliminate (O2 sensor, MAF)? I am thinking about purchasing a DFI kit but I want to make sure its right for me! 4.) How hard is it to tune?
Thanks guys!!!!

Scott

I have a few questions, 1.)What is the best one to get and what are cost ranges. 2.) What needs to be done to install it, how long does it take, is it worth it? 3.)What does it eliminate (O2 sensor, MAF)? I am thinking about purchasing a DFI kit but I want to make sure its right for me! 4.) How hard is it to tune?
Thanks guys!!!!

I will give this a shot.

1. The best one to get is a Sequential unit. That box has really nice data logging features. You can tune each cylinder individually, and it has one driver per injector. That does not do much for you using 50# injectors but if and when you get a bigger turbo( 70-1 or better ) you will need it.

The sequential units run about $1600 new, used I have seen them for $700 on the board.

The batch fire DFI is a good starter kit. There are differences though. The term batch fire means that there is one driver for every two injectors. For what you are doing this will work fine.
The batch fire box will data log but it does not record as fast, nor does it give you all the features of the sequential unit.
You can still change and control the fuel and timing maps to whatever you want. (This is the main reason anyone buys these types of ECMs)

The batch fire boxes go for $1200 new and used for as low as 5$500.

2. Installation of a DFI is pretty simple. The ECM hooks in with the stock wiring harness. I believe there is an adapter harness you have to buy to make it work.
You will need to jump a wire from the MAP sensor to the harness.
You must have a laptop to interface with the ECM.
In my book, it is worth it if you plan on going fast. It allows you to tune on the fly, you can alter fuel maps, timing maps anytime.
Plus you can see what the motor is doing during a run. The batch fire is limited a bit in this department.

3. What does it eliminate? You dont need a MAF anymore with a DFI. It becomes a speed density system, meaning the ECM refers to how much pressure it sees given a certain load on the engine. That is why the MAP sensor has to be hooked up.

The O2 sensor is still useful though. You can see what your air/fuel ratio is using that sensor. So you really dont eliminate it, the 02 sensor is just no longer used to control fuel delivery like it is with the stock unit.

4. How hard is it to tune? Well for the beginner it seems like Swahili at first until you become familiar with the system and what it is doing. There are plenty of people on the board that can give you a program to get your car started.

The great thing is that with the DFI you have access to the fuel map, timing, fan control, idle, and more. No more changing chips. No more cranking up the fuel pressure. No more MAF sensor.

One little advantage for this is you can have one program for the street and another for the strip.

I would say that if you intend to run 10.99 and lower it is well worth it. You will reach the point that it becomes necessary at that level.

Hope this helps.

If you are buying a new system the I would buy the FAST no doubt. If you are looking for used the DFI will get the job done. I have DFI it works good for me. Other than that these guys pretty much said all there is to say.