You can type here any text you want

Dfi Woes-can Anyone Help?

• Thread starter Thread starter turbocliff
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
T

turbocliff

It's been quite a while since I have built up a TR, and I'm sure someone will have a simple solution to what is driving me to insanity right now. I Had a car with and older generation DFI set-up, it ran hard & very well. The car was crap though-so I switched the whole top half of the motor to my WE4, along with the DFI. Stupidly, all I kept off the other car was the DFI computer/ adapter harness to the factory one. I didn't keep anything from under the hood. Now, with everything on the WE4 car, It starts and runs great but will load up hard and puke at any load over 0 vac/boost. Now, this car was a Digital dash car, and I don't see a MAP sensor on it at all, I installed a 3 bar, but it had no effect. When I use the factory computer w/ Kenne Bell 50lb chip, the car runs great-builds boost- everything- it ran 11.40's, but I know I can't tune the car, or leave it like this. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks- Confused

Originally posted by turbocliff
It's been quite a while since I have built up a TR, and I'm sure someone will have a simple solution to what is driving me to insanity right now. I Had a car with and older generation DFI set-up, it ran hard & very well. The car was crap though-so I switched the whole top half of the motor to my WE4, along with the DFI. Stupidly, all I kept off the other car was the DFI computer/ adapter harness to the factory one. I didn't keep anything from under the hood. Now, with everything on the WE4 car, It starts and runs great but will load up hard and puke at any load over 0 vac/boost. Now, this car was a Digital dash car, and I don't see a MAP sensor on it at all, I installed a 3 bar, but it had no effect. When I use the factory computer w/ Kenne Bell 50lb chip, the car runs great-builds boost- everything- it ran 11.40's, but I know I can't tune the car, or leave it like this. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks- Confused

It sounds like you need to run a jumper wire from the
middle wire of the MAP connector to the middle wire
of the MAF connector. Of course, leave the MAF sensor
out of the system and run a vacuum hose from the MAP
sensor to the vacuum block on top of the throttle body
(use a T-fitting). HTH.

DFI woes

Saturday night we did install a 3 bar map, using the signal wire from the mass air to the map. We ran the vacuum, and disconnected the mass air. There was, however, no change in performance. The car still acts the same. Thinking my DFI program was to blame, I had a buddy bring over two different programs for his cars (both with 55's) and no change at all. I'm really confused why the car will run strong with the factory ecu installed using a kenne bell 50lb chip, and cannot run with a load using dfi. We suspect the cam sensor that I've already set and re-set. But where else do I look?

-Still trying to crack this one.

Re: DFI woes

Saturday night we did install a 3 bar map, using the signal wire from the mass air to the map. We ran the vacuum, and disconnected the mass air. There was, however, no change in performance. The car still acts the same. Thinking my DFI program was to blame, I had a buddy bring over two different programs for his cars (both with 55's) and no change at all. I'm really confused why the car will run strong with the factory ecu installed using a kenne bell 50lb chip, and cannot run with a load using dfi. We suspect the cam sensor that I've already set and re-set. But where else do I look?

-Still trying to crack this one.

I don't think any of the digital dash cars came with MAP
sensors. Was there an unplugged factory MAP harness
under the hood (never owned a digital dash TR)?? What
was the 3-BAR Map sensor plugged into? :confused:
It sounds like the MAP circuit is not functioning.

Digital dash cars had a plug but no power to them. Check the MAP plug for power and ground A= ground B= signal C=5v ref.
If 5v ref. & grd are missing make a jumper from the TPS

dfi woes

That's correct- this is a digital dash car, and there was an unused map sensor connector. I've tried using the factory wires it was connected to, I then spliced the signal (middle) wire from the mass air flow sensor to the signal wire on the factory map plug. This had no effect so I cut the plug off, and used 6v and ground from the tps sensor and the signal from the mass air, but still nothing changes. There is also what appears to be the relay for the digital dash with a vacuum line and a two wire connector next to the map sensor factory plug, but I haven't touched it. I'm wondering what else to try.

Re: dfi woes

That's correct- this is a digital dash car, and there was an unused map sensor connector. I've tried using the factory wires it was connected to, I then spliced the signal (middle) wire from the mass air flow sensor to the signal wire on the factory map plug. This had no effect so I cut the plug off, and used 6v and ground from the tps sensor and the signal from the mass air, but still nothing changes.

I would verify that voltage is reaching the MAP plug first.
If so, I'd try another MAP sensor. Is your MAP sensor
brand new? 3 BAR from the '89 TTA? Bad ECU?

There is also what appears to be the relay for the digital dash with a vacuum line and a two wire connector next to the map sensor factory plug, but I haven't touched it. I'm wondering what else to try.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's a 2-step Hobbs switch for the dash lights.

The 3 Bar Map sensor in the car now was just bought last week from PTE, I have verified voltage to the sensor, and have tried the 3 bar off another running TR. I do have a question about injectors, High impedence vs. low impedence. My Siemens 55lb/hr injectors, should they even work using a factor computer with a Kenne Bell Hot Flash 50lb chip, could I have screwed them up using this set up, so now they don't work with the DFI program they are meant to be used with?

is your dfi still not reading +boost ? how sure are you that you have the corrct wires for map sensor to ecu ? if you're not sure drop me an email or post, I have my old DFI6 ecu wiring diagram and pinout home I can fax.

Sounds like wiring to me.

Greg

I'm 99% sure that the wiring is correct, however, I don't have a DFI wiring schematic or anything. If you could fax something to me, I could double check what what I've got.

Appreciate it- Thanks

fax# 630-513-9997 attn: Cliff:confused:

Back