Did my wife get scammed?

imjoesnuffy

I just break stuff!
OK so I am away from home for quite a while. My wife took her minivan to get an oil change, at one of those franchise quick oil change joints. I changed it with Mobil 1 synthethic 5w30 about 4000 miles ago. She had them put synthetic back in it.

After the oil is drained, the tech brings the dipstick around to show her, with what she describes as "Gunk and really thick black oil" all over it. She said the tech said the oil was burnt. He then tells her they offer a service called an oil flush for $15. She doesnt know any better and tells them to go ahead and do it.

She told me about it over the phone last night and I think immediately it is a scam. Maybe I am over reacting, but I can just imagine a bucket full of garbage oil out of sight they dip it in and bring it around. I know the oil on the last change was not black, full of gunk or anything out of the ordinary. For that to happen something has to really be wrong. Her minivan only has 36,000 miles on it, with no engine issues whatsoever.

Your thoughts? It is only $15 but to think this place would try to take advantage of my wife like that really pisses me off. On top of that who knows what they used to flush it with.

$15 x 60 cars a day= $900 additional gross

Don't have all the facts, but I'd bet you hit the nail on the head.

If it was really a scam, what makes you think they flushed it with anything? :) They just put clean oil in it and wiped off the dipstick.

Sounds like a scam but hopefully no harm, just the $15.

Take it in yourself next time, and hope that they try and pull it on you?

I worked at a Jiffy Lube for a few weeks when I was 16. The flush was basically an additive they would put in the old oil, then let the car idle for a few minutes, than drain it, then fill it up with the new oil. I guess the additive is suppose to clean "debris" out or something.

It was easy for the tech to show someone the old dirty oil, sell the additive, change the oil, then show the customer the new clean oil. Everyone was always impressed with how the new oil was so clean lol. It's amazing what you could sell a person that knows nothing about cars:eek:

IT is a pressurized system that pumps fresh oil throught the galleries to "clean out all the old dirty oil". It does NOTHING. Alot of shops sell that service. YES, they just dipped the stick into a tub of crap. Good thing that is all they tried to "dip their stick in"!!! Those shops are on my SH!T list! They tried a similar thing with my wife. I was recovering from back surgery, and she needed to make a long trip, so I told her to take it to Jiffy lube just down the street. They told her that they could fix the rock chip in the windshield. (it was under the drivers PARKED wiper blade, and had been there for over a year) That day, it cracked all the way across!!:mad: After she said "NO!......just change the oil!" they had crawled in and pushed out HARD on it. Too hard to prove.
But, to see what they do, check this out: YouTube - Jiffy Lube Scam Caught on Tape!
Typical of MANY automotive shops! That's why auto repair shops are so hated! If you are a female, they see you coming miles away. And most get away with it. Most of us can relate stories about auto scamming.
I helped a gal a few years ago to fix an oil leak in her Olds Cutlass. (Buick V6) She told me it had just had the head gaskets changed for $880. I ended up having to pull the intake because it was leaking out the back. I figured the rear seal had slid when they bolted the intake back on. After pulling the intake, I see a TON of stop leak had pured out of the head gasket on the passensgers side. The intake had NEVER been removed. They poured a can (or three) of stop leak in it and charged her for a head gasket R&R. They told her that they don't warrenty head gaskets on Buick V6's because they are so prone to problems. They suggested that she sell the car as soon as she gets home. Man! I hate guys like that!!! Tranny shops do the same thing, too. Had one local shop do a fluid and filter change on a guys 84 GN. They brought the pan into the waiting room and told him that it NEEDED a complete overhaul.......RIGHT NOW!! They said it was lucky he brought it in. Quoted him $2000. He said "No Thanks!........it was working great when I drove it in here. Just change the fluid and filter." I had sent him to my GREAT tranny guy, Dave Splett @ Trans-Service. (who routinely builds 9 and 10 second 200-4R's) He was swamped and told him to just take it to any tranny shop for a fluid and filter change. So he did. Well........he drove off to go home for the week-end
He only made it about 100 miles, and the car stopped moving. He had it towed to Daves shop (Man! that had to cost a fortune!) Dave pulled the pan and found that they had NOT put a filter in it, and that they had flipped the pressure regulator valve over. He corrected the two things, and sent him on his way. He said that the tranny was fine. Not perfect, but not needing a complete overhaul for this guys driving. He offered to testify in court on his behalf, but the guy said he would handle it himself. He told me that he walked into the shop and asked if they remembered him, and then proceeded to explain to them what they had done. Then dealt with it "his way"! (which I won't go into.;) That was over 15 years ago.

I worked at a Jiffy Lube for a few weeks when I was 16. The flush was basically an additive they would put in the old oil, then let the car idle for a few minutes, than drain it, then fill it up with the new oil. I guess the additive is suppose to clean "debris" out or something.

It was easy for the tech to show someone the old dirty oil, sell the additive, change the oil, then show the customer the new clean oil. Everyone was always impressed with how the new oil was so clean lol. It's amazing what you could sell a person that knows nothing about cars:eek:

That "additive" was probably nothing more than glorified diesel fuel. There's a chemical on the market called "Motor Flush". You can get it at Advance Auto and places like that. It comes in a gray bottle, and it looks and smells like diesel fuel, which I'm sure it probably is. I think all it really does is just thins out the oil so more of it gets out of the pan. It's not recommended for turbocharged engines, so don't try it.

And yes you're right it's easy for shade tree mechanics to take advantage of people who know zilch about cars, hence why a mechanic can pour oil on your engine and tell you there's an oil leak and it's going to cost $500 to replace the gaskets, then while you're waiting he just wipes off the old oil.

Geez while we're on this topic I wonder how many Jiffy Lubes/Midas/Meineke/chain stores have told some blonde chick that her blinker fluid was low and that her muffler needed new bearings and she actually bought into it? :eek:

Like THIS?: YouTube - Prank call to a woaman about her car service :D

WARNING: There are some pics in this vid of girls in bathing suits, not nude or anything, but "some" might think they are a little too scantilly clad. Just minimize the screen and turn the volume up, at work. It's REAL funny. Actually, it's dang scary! All high school kids should be REQUIRED to take basic auto shop! Oh ya.......and PASS it!!!

SHE BEEN SCAMMED!

ALL these places are Under QUOTA PRESSURES to UPSELL. It also means commissions for the manager.

SCAM!

my nephew took his car into one those shops last winter to get an oil change and the crooked tech told him a bunch of lies to try to get him to buy a bunch of unnecessary stuff.

i'd avoid those kind of shops.

Your Wife Was Was Very Fortunate ,at Least They Changed The Oil And Didnt Just Pass A Rag On The Oil Filter And Change The Mileage Sticker

Thats what I figuired. I will check out there handiwork when I get home. I doubt they carry the brand of filter I had on it.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

you want to hear about a scam!!!

Ok check this out. My wife had been looking for a new car at the time. She had found a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire. It was not a bad car and checked out fine. Well she bought it and had it for a few months no problems what so ever. We took a family trip with the kids to Iowa for a week and racked up about 2500 miles on the car that week alone. When we returned home we unloaded the kids and car. I went out side to go have a smoke and I was looking out into space and I noticed this huge puddle under the car, I did not think to much of it at the time. I thought it rained when we where gone and it was from that.

Well later I went out to smoke again, I looked at the puddle and thought boy is that thick:rolleyes: I stuck my hand in it and it was tranny fluid!!!! Boy was that a shock. I pushed the car back and looked under it, I saw it was leaking from the right CV shaft seal. No big deal... She has a warrenty on the car right??
Well the dealership came to get it and they called and said it was the seal that went bad, I asked to speak to them and then asked why the seal went bad? They said that just happens...

Well they put a new seal in it and I figured it would not last.

Afew months down the road it happened again. We took it in and they said the seals do that!!

I agured with the dealership, I told them the bushing is bad and that is why the seal is getting chewed up. He said no thats not how it works:eek:

Well it happened again. Tranny was leaking all over. This time I asked her for the keys and told her to get the tow truck warmed up I will have it fixed good this time.

Well no trans fluid and a lot of driving down these country roads sure does a number on these trannys;)

$100 the third time under warrenty for there stupid fee. $100 for a brand new trans and thier labor is the way I see it.

Not just the seal that time:D

The reason they kept just replacing the seal was for them to buy time for the warrenty to go out so it would cost her out of her pocket.

I can say with a big smile on my face she has not had any more problems with the trans anymore:p

Let me explain how it works. You buy the car and pay extra for the warrenty. They do all they can to patch it up till the warrenty is over with and then they charge you out the ass in parts and labor.

I know the seals don't just go bad for no reason. There is a bushing behind the seal that the axle shaft rides on the keep it running true, if the bushing goes out the shaft does not spin straight and the busing does not seal like it should:cool:

full blown scam

I know for a fact, that these quickie oil change places need to be avoided. My three horror stories are as follows.

I brought my turbo supra in for an oil change. They bring me this plastic coated paper with samples of every fluid in my car to compare to what new fluid looks like. Upset, I told them they were only authorized to change the oil, not to touch anything else on the car. About a week later, I noticed an oil spot coming from the rear. So I look, and find the diff plug in noticably crooked. The jacka$$ cross threaded the plug putting it back in. So back to econo lube to get it fixed, the mid eastern man says I did it, and he is not responsible.

I see an ad for a 15 dollar oil change. So I go there, my exact words "can you change the oil without touching anything else? I don't need to see samples of the other fluids". He says yes, so I proceed. Then here comes some dude with the same crap showing me sample fluids. At this point, I'm pretty upset. I told the idiot didn't you say you could change the oil without touching anything else and showing me sample fluids? His response, yes I could, but I didn't say i would.

My friends neighbor is a dealership mechanic who said he would change the timing belt on a honda I have. As he's doing it, we're talking. He said he gets 3 to 5 warranty repairs from the quickie oil change places per month for motor replacements due to loose oil drain plug leaked all the oil out and destroyed the engine.

So, from personal experience, and from what I've seen on the news and 20/20's expose on jiffy lube, I NEVER allow these places to touch my car. Tell your friends, chain letter pay it forward style. All good deeds are returned, as are acts of unkindness.

I know for a fact, that these quickie oil change places need to be avoided. My three horror stories are as follows.

I brought my turbo supra in for an oil change. They bring me this plastic coated paper with samples of every fluid in my car to compare to what new fluid looks like. Upset, I told them they were only authorized to change the oil, not to touch anything else on the car. About a week later, I noticed an oil spot coming from the rear. So I look, and find the diff plug in noticably crooked. The jacka$$ cross threaded the plug putting it back in. So back to econo lube to get it fixed, the mid eastern man says I did it, and he is not responsible.

I see an ad for a 15 dollar oil change. So I go there, my exact words "can you change the oil without touching anything else? I don't need to see samples of the other fluids". He says yes, so I proceed. Then here comes some dude with the same crap showing me sample fluids. At this point, I'm pretty upset. I told the idiot didn't you say you could change the oil without touching anything else and showing me sample fluids? His response, yes I could, but I didn't say i would.

My friends neighbor is a dealership mechanic who said he would change the timing belt on a honda I have. As he's doing it, we're talking. He said he gets 3 to 5 warranty repairs from the quickie oil change places per month for motor replacements due to loose oil drain plug leaked all the oil out and destroyed the engine.

So, from personal experience, and from what I've seen on the news and 20/20's expose on jiffy lube, I NEVER allow these places to touch my car. Tell your friends, chain letter pay it forward style. All good deeds are returned, as are acts of unkindness.

While I'm sure these 'oil change technicians" are highly trained and very diligent, I wouldn't trust any of them to oil the chain on one of my kid's bicycles.

Too many horror stories. Too many uninformed consumers. Sad money is so easily lifted from pockets but if you aren't informed it is kind of the cost of initiation. Some need more than others.

I change my own oil on all of my vehicles and equipment. I think you should too.

If you call them on it they will refund you just to keep you quiet.

I had a customer go through some stuff like this and I went in with her and got her money BACK!

I managed one of those shops for a year up-sale is what is pushed on you bonuses for the sale. 1.trans flushes easy with a quart of nasty fluid to dip the stick in 2.leaking oil plug new gasket yes it is a up-sale 3.motor flush as described as above 4.don't change oil filter drain and fill this happens more than you think 5.any gear boxes the fluid stinks and needs to be changed.After about a year I had to quit the owner was the biggest con-artist I have ever known