Difference between 86/86 pistons

difference between 86/87 pistons

I was told that the 86 TR pistons were not as strong as the 87 TR pistons and that they had different part numbers.I tore down my engine and did not have any cylinder wall wear but two of my pistons had a crack in them were the wrist pin goes. Have you seen this before???

Does anyone know the difference between an 86/87 TR piston?

they are a different part number (can't remember from memory exactly) but the differences are minimal------86's are sligtly lighter -----very slight but you wouldn't want to mix them without doing some matching------- both have drainback channels to the wrist pins from the oil ring groove------ both have steel top ring inserts and both have similar steel reinforcements around the pin bosses------i really can't see where either is stronger------i have seen 86's and 87's crack in a similar manner across the crown down to the pin----but not at the wrist pin only............RC

difference between 86/87 pistons

The two original pistons and 4ea stock pistons that I purchased had the same crack around the wrist pin area thus indicating that something is not right.Maybe it could be the way the pins were pressed on and off or maybe a cast defect or even detonation however I never raced the car since I had it.