Difference Between 86/87 Grand Nationals?

GrnNatlFan

Maybe someone can shed some light on this question for me? I have never really looked into this but am curious, now that I am in the market for a Grand National. The only difference in the exterior that I can come up with is the grille?

But what about the engine and other components. I know the 86 is rated at 235hp and the 87 at 245hp but what is it that makes the two different? What other components are different/better?

When it comes to pricing, I have noticed that the 87's draw quite a bit more in price than the 86's. Can this be attributed totally to 87 being the last year?

Please let me know :confused:

grille and chip are the only 2 differences I have been able to come up with. other than that 10hp more and it is the last year is the only real justification for the 87 over the 86. which is weird because there were alot fewer 86's than there were 87's.

Also the interior door panel pull straps are black on an 86 and grey on a 87.The 87 had a slightly different computer chip which made the 10 hp difference,which most people replace the stock chip anyway.

Who told you the chip changed? A stock 86 will run the exact same times an 87 will. There are no differences other than cosmetically. The 245 vs 235 is entirely fluff. Did you think the 245 was anywhere NEAR actual anyway? :D

Originally posted by jastrckl
Who told you the chip changed? A stock 86 will run the exact same times an 87 will. There are no differences other than cosmetically. The 245 vs 235 is entirely fluff. Did you think the 245 was anywhere NEAR actual anyway? :D
I thought I read it one of the dozen times this topic came up.But I did a search and can't find it so I'll climb back under my rock.But before I do, No I didn't think 245 hp was accurate.

Actually the chip is a bit different due to emission requirement between the 2 years. There is a different color dot on the wastegate solinoid, power seat motors are different, power seat switches are different, seatbelt DOT tags are different, and others already mentiond the grill and pull straps. I've seen more 86's with checked paint than I have 87's

Joe

Originally posted by jastrckl

Since GNX Guy redeemed me I'm back.Coil Pack decals were different,86 decal had an eagle on it and 87 decal has a V6 on it.Some 86s had a different power steering resevoir cap than 87s.I've owned two 86s and the caps were the same as the 87 cap. :confused:

Oops, forgot that one. Not only are the caps different, the reservoir is different too.

Joe

Originally posted by 2NASSTYBUICKS
Since GNX Guy redeemed me I'm back.Coil Pack decals were different,86 decal had an eagle on it and 87 decal has a V6 on it.Some 86s had a different power steering resevoir cap than 87s.I've owned two 86s and the caps were the same as the 87 cap. :confused:

the fuel pump wiring harness is also different........

other than that, the 86's are also faster:D

I'll add a minor difference.....

1987 has a "bugle" on the horn pad, 86 does not.

OK, back under my rock.:cool:

Wiring harness' on the 86's and 87's I've had were the same. 85's are different.

Joe

Originally posted by azgn
the fuel pump wiring harness is also different........

other than that, the 86's are also faster:D

Another possible difference(not all 86s had this option)but the 86 was available with Electronic Touch Climate Control and the 87 didn't have that option.

also.... Cruise Control Diaphram.

I think ALL 1986 and some 1987 GN's had the one Exhaust pipe to a Muffler and Dual Tails like a F-Body (cant confirm as most original exhausts are gone) but still come out the rear 1/4's

All 86-87 Turbo Regals had that style exhaust....single muffler, dual pipes. I can take photos of mine if there's an interest.

Some have said that 86 had different front springs and ride a hair lower in front.
:confused: