Digital Dash Dim at night

Scarab

My Digital factory dash( I know nobody likes them) is bright in the day time but when I turn on the lights at night it gets dim and I cant make it brighter. I have check the dimmer and it works as it will dim and brighten the gauge lights correctly. But with the digital dash I don't know where to look? Anyone have any ideas? if I turn the dimmer up or down only the gauges dim and brighten the dash gets dim and stays dim at night. But in the day time it lights up great. ??? Confused?

I had the same problem beginning of the summer check your fuse box there are two fuses for that check your connections and your fuse box very thoroughly my problem was a blown fuse that controls the dash lights

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I am going to do some more checking but all of the gauge lights work so that tells me the switch and dimmer are working but not dash lights.

my gauge lights worked also but they would do the exact same thing yours is doing bright no headlights on dim no adjustability with the headlight switch on

my gauge lights worked also but they would do the exact same thing yours is doing bright no headlights on dim no adjustability with the headlight switch on

Do you remember which fuses they were? I tried looking last night and could not see the dash light fuse or fuses.

I'll take a pic tomorrow off the top of my head it was in the middle of the fuse box more towards the top

Here's one of the links that got me headed in the right direction on my car when I had the same problem it's hot air not ic but it worked for me fuse location pics will show you exactly where the fuses are

565ed8e072053724256caa5ef35118a9.jpg

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/hot-air-non-intercooled-tech.9/

There is a circuit on the control CPU board that manages the dimming of the displays. There are dimmer resistors dedicated to the three displays, the MPH display being a particular problem because of excessive heat on its dimming resistor. That would cause the MPH display to dim or go out completely while the others work normally.

But that doesn't seem to be your issue; a particular chip on this board may be bad, causing the display to not vary in brightness during a dimmer adjustment. I have seen this happen only a few of times over the years, and have repaired and upgraded hundreds of these digital dashes. Being as the chip is a house-numbered GM IC, I have had to replace the CPU boards on these repairs. Haven't yet found a cross-match replacement for that chip (really haven't tried too hard, being as it's a very infrequent problem).

Man I was lucky, I found a blown fuse and replaced it. The dash started working correctly again. I also repaired the shift light and now every thing works. Thanks to all for the help. Cant get under the dash like I used to back in the late 80's with my first GN. :(

Glad it worked out and I could help that kicked my behind for weeks I definitely felt your pain soon as I read it I drove around Dart dash at night 4 months before I attempted to fix that

problem is back, cant find what is shorting it out. its not the shifter light. any ideas?