Dino or Synthetic?

djj624

What do you use? Im torn between the two. in one case from what iv read synthetic is better(better for heat, larger molecules, ect ect). On the other hand dino is cheaper, has been used for years, and i would imagine (could be wrong) would coat better because of its thickness, especially since i dont drive my car everyday(twice a week if im lucky). Well what are you guys using?

You'll probably find an equal number of people on either side of the fence around here. A lot of people are running the ZDDP additive with their preferred brand of oil. Personally, I have only run Mobil 1 synthetic in my TR up until the last oil change. I am now running Royal Purple syn 10w30.

There are tons of threads to look through with every opinion under the sun. :)

If you change your oil often like most here do then Dino with some EOS or ZDDP gets my vote. I change it probably every 500 miles each summer as there are track days involved with my car. I like inspecting the oil & filter after beating on the car some.

Military & aircraft use synthetic.

So this applies to a V-6 designed in the 1960's, and built with '60's technology and materials, how?:confused:

Military and aircraft also use diesel fuel.:biggrin:

Use the search feature and find the hundreds of discussions on what oil to use, and you will still NOT find any final conclusions, as every one has their opinion on which oil type is the best.;)

On a serious note, conditions, engine build, type of use, economics and other factors need to be evaluated before deciding which is best [or better].:)

Oil

What do you use? Im torn between the two. in one case from what iv read synthetic is better(better for heat, larger molecules, ect ect). On the other hand dino is cheaper, has been used for years, and i would imagine (could be wrong) would coat better because of its thickness, especially since i dont drive my car everyday(twice a week if im lucky). Well what are you guys using?

Just go to WallyMart and buy some Shell Rotella T 15-40, or 5-40 Rotella T synthetic oil, they come in 4 gallon or quart containers :)
Rotella T is used in Diesel engines which operate hotter than ours, plus it can be used in gasoline engines.
Also Rotella T has a new formula out, but it still has a lot zinc and phosphorus in it. :)

Welcome to the Shell Rotella Forum: Antiwear Additives For Hyd. Flat Tappet Cams

:smile:

So this applies to a V-6 designed in the 1960's, and built with '60's technology and materials, how?:confused:

Military and aircraft also use diesel fuel.:biggrin:

Use the search feature and find the hundreds of discussions on what oil to use, and you will still NOT find any final conclusions, as every one has their opinion on which oil type is the best.;)

On a serious note, conditions, engine build, type of use, economics and other factors need to be evaluated before deciding which is best [or better].:)

It does relate in the sense that the aircraft that use sythetic don't even get oil changes. An oil sample gets inspected every xxx hrs of fly time...that's it. Unless there's excess particles/wear the oil stays in.
I think that's how he was trying to relate that the military uses synthetic for it's improved flow/break-down resistance.
Synthetic can stay in our engines for 5000+miles without a problem, even if you take it to the track occasionally.

It does relate in the sense that the aircraft that use sythetic don't even get oil changes. An oil sample gets inspected every xxx hrs of fly time...that's it. Unless there's excess particles/wear the oil stays in.
I think that's how he was trying to relate that the military uses synthetic for it's improved flow/break-down resistance.
Synthetic can stay in our engines for 5000+miles without a problem, even if you take it to the track occasionally.

Comparing an aircraft turbine engine to a turbo V-6 used for performance and racing is like comparing..............., well not even anything I would say in public.:eek:

Most smart racers with $10-25K engines change oil every 20 runs or so. We use leaded fuel, that, and lots of other contamination are forced by the pistons rings. Even on the street, boost forces more contaminates past the rings. Last I checked, turbines do NOT have piston rings!:eek:

Synthetic get contaminated just like regular oil, maybe even moreso since it is usually thinner when hot. Why would any turbo owner even consider going 5000 miles between oil changes?:confused:

Using diesel oil also has drawbacks. The diesel oil is formulated for low RPM use, usually 1/2 of a street or strip performance turbo Buick. Also, since there is more oil contamination in diesels, the oil contains more detergents which "cleans" cylinder wall making the antiwear additive LESS effective.

The Muscle car forums do many times recommend Rotella, or the like, for their older big V-8 cars. Since turbos are not present [usually!] and the drive back and forth to the car show, or off the trailer, does not involve much RPM, probably works for them.:biggrin:

Like I mentioned above, determine the use of your vehicle, and then decide on what oil is best for YOU!:)

My own experience, and now opinion, no owner or their cars, have been able to convince me that synthetic oil is worth 2 times the price of regular oil with the proper additive like Zddplus or the original EOS. That experience includes being inside over 500 turbo V-6 engines, plus many other makes, over the past 20+ years.:smile:

I'm gonna try Mobil 1 synthetic 15-50 it's supposed to work well with flat tappet cams. :cool:

No additives.

I use dino. oil in the other car, there's plenty of them out there with flat tappet ratings and NOS stock SF, SG, SH as well. Valvoline always works well in the GN with dino. oil. :smile:

With 3K oil changes a good dino. oil is cost effective.

Unfortunately my double BB turbo maker said to use synthetic in that car. :(

no matter which oil you use, you should be adding a 4oz bottle of ZDDP. Search around here, good info to back up the reasons and i dont think it is too expensive. my $.02.

Military & aircraft use synthetic.

AeroShell makes the most popular aviation oils out there, and though they do make some semi-synthetics; most of their oils are non-synthetic. Virtually all military aircraft are turbine powered, and their requirements are considerably different.

Been wondering about this myself. I personally run synthetic because I figure with a turbo you WANT synthetic....but have considered switching to dinosaur oil since some claim it's just as good.

One thing I have heard is you dont want to run synthetic if your engine leaks a lot of oil with traditional oil.

I switched at 155K to synthetic with a rope stock seal.

Leaks a tiny bit more but not the flood I expected, more out the top holes than the bottom ones, such as valve covers and PCV. :p