You can type here any text you want

Dissassembled my shortblock, piston pin q

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pablo

I disassembled the short block today. Everything looks surprisingly good. All of the bearings are grey (albeit with some wear and contamination). No sludge whatsoever. It seems to be in abnormally good shape for an engine with 170k. If I measured correctly I found the bore had worn about .015 over. I just measured one real quick. Still learning how to use the measuring tools I have.

The only thing that seemed odd to me was that all of the rod/piston pairs moved very freely on the piston pin except the #5 piston/rod combo seemed to have considerable friction. What's going on here? Should they all move freely or should they all have some friction?

If you were to hold it up by the rod, it would fall to one side or the other. It would not stay upright nor fall with any resistance. They should all feel the same. A new build has a nice fit feel, a broken in set should be a little looser.

Thanks
Coach

Nevermind :)

I just went out to re-inspect it and found that the rod was pushed all the way to one side of the pin and thats what was causing the binding. I centered it and its just as loose as the others.

Back