You can type here any text you want

Distributor guys help me out

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

sixgun86gn

six offender
I am planning on using an MSD crank trigger and distributor with an MSD 10 ignition box.

My question is how do you make it all work together?How does the computer know when to fire the injectors?How does the advance mechanism in the distributor work,or does it at all?

I will be using either the Fast XFI or BS3.Thanks.

WIth an XFI its pretty simple,Are you using a jumper harness or stand alone harness?
Besides wiring in the crank and dist signal there is one wire from he xfi that goes to the msd box
Pm me if you want my number i can give you more info

The inj typically fire on each crank pulse.

Usually you would just lock the distributor down and let the computer control the timing.

TurboTR

KLHAMMETT said:
WIth an XFI its pretty simple,Are you using a jumper harness or stand alone harness?
Besides wiring in the crank and dist signal there is one wire from he xfi that goes to the msd box
Pm me if you want my number i can give you more info

Which is better? i would guess a stand alone harness?

I will be getting the fuel management unit sometime after christmas,most likely the XFI.Just really checking to see if i will need any special items to make it all work properly.

Do you use an MSD crank trigger too?

How easy would you say it is to install thet XFI box with a stand alone harness and get it running for a novice?

dist,

i hope you get a better stand alone harness than the one i got with the xfi. the wires are way too long, the pins were wrong, i never have got it to fire with a msd 7al2 using the factory crank sensor, and we wired it as otto said , the msd and the coil is ok, good luck :confused:

Odell,We never got to talk about using the factory crank sensor and what needs to be done.When your ready call me

distributor

OTTO. im the one that is old, did you forget you told me how to wire the hall affect sensor[factory crank sensor] you told me about dan moving your reluctor ring 40 degrees, etc, cal told me a different way still no crank lite on the xfi, the teck guy at xfi [comp,cams] said it should fire without moving the ring on the balancer, i still say its the wiring harness , i have tried 3 different crank sensors two distributors and coils. later oc, :confused:

odell4o8 said:
OTTO. im the one that is old, did you forget you told me how to wire the hall affect sensor[factory crank sensor] you told me about dan moving your reluctor ring 40 degrees, etc, cal told me a different way still no crank lite on the xfi, the teck guy at xfi [comp,cams] said it should fire without moving the ring on the balancer, i still say its the wiring harness , i have tried 3 different crank sensors two distributors and coils. later oc, :confused:
Odell call me, There is one more step you missed,very important and will not fire with out it

You still can;t get that to fire? Your gowing older by the day! Wish you luck though

distributor

thanks norbs, i called msd today and im buying a crank trigger . its got to be better than the factory crank sensor. ill get it fired and tuned someday, :)

Odell do you have the factory crank signal going to the Ref Hi input of the ecu?

TurboTR

on an XFI the stock crank sensor needs to be hooked to the discrete crank input and the Ip needs to be grounded

xfi.

thanks, i have done all the above still no luck, so i ordered a msd crank trigger, if it turns out the xfi box is the problem, im gonna be pixxx off, i should have bought a caspers harness anyway they look and fit better, :confused:

odell4o8 said:
thanks, i have done all the above still no luck, so i ordered a msd crank trigger, if it turns out the xfi box is the problem, im gonna be pixxx off, i should have bought a caspers harness anyway they look and fit better, :confused:

Odell,
Dont need MSD crank trigger. Drag that car over here and I will hook you up.

quickt said:
Odell,
Dont need MSD crank trigger. Drag that car over here and I will hook you up.
thanks lonnie, but i bought a msd crank trigger and i got it running, pulling the engine next week and checking the bottom and installing different heads, again thanks, :)

Back