You can type here any text you want

distributor spring advance

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

83turbomon

Starvin Like Marvin...
as Im replacing my ignition module in my car tomorrow, (when the weather clears) and was thinking of replacing my plug wires, and module. But I was looking at the rotor and the springs on the rotor and knowing that it is an HEI dist was looking for a way to tighten the springs or maybe add some weights to get a little better response. I have a distributor from a stock regal and want to get one from an acutal t-type before I do these mods, sound legit???

for the most part.... the weights in the distributor are all the same.

your best bet is to go down to AZ and see if they have a Mr Gasket GM HEI curve and advance kit.... cost like 12 bucks.

heres the catch.... DO NOT use the kit weights.... there crap... use the old ones and file off the advance limiter on the weight... and use kits springs.

A.j.

if you want to get all crazy you can take the distributor over to a speed shop and they can advance it for you but i would do what aj just said.

Shouldn't you run that compression test first?

You have EST disturbutor. There are no weights. Timing is controlled by the ECM.

With ECM controlled cars, the distribtor is the same, turbo or NA.

Get engine running right before trying to improve it.

That's right Rich is on the pulse. That is the whole reason I swapped out my 7 pin HEI module out of my EST distributor and replaced it with a 4 pin module. I never used a computer with my drawthru setups, and I had no control over the Ignition timing and it would advance forever and ever causing me to replace more headgaskets than I ever wanted too. I'm glad I figured that one out, just wish it was sooner.

Shouldn't you run that compression test first?

You have EST disturbutor. There are no weights. Timing is controlled by the ECM.

With ECM controlled cars, the distribtor is the same, turbo or NA.

Get engine running right before trying to improve it.

We have a winner.:biggrin: Get the d@mn compression test done and post the info kid. If you've got a stock distributor then it doesn't have weights, it's 100% controled by the puter and yours isn't working right from what we're hearing.

That's right Rich is on the pulse. That is the whole reason I swapped out my 7 pin HEI module out of my EST distributor and replaced it with a 4 pin module. I never used a computer with my drawthru setups, and I had no control over the Ignition timing and it would advance forever and ever causing me to replace more headgaskets than I ever wanted too. I'm glad I figured that one out, just wish it was sooner.

You can add an MSD timing control to it Adam Set the timing high, add a BTM and the timing control and dial it in to where you want. :biggrin:

I've still got that whole Jacobs ignition system and I never installed it (yet) because the 4 pin module pulls 6* out automatically and it's just worked out great for me on this combo so far.

It's official every one has told Carlos to perform a compression test twice now.

It's official every one has told Carlos to perform a compression test twice now.

i didnt even notice that. even i told him to run a compression test. i dont know whats up why he is not. i even sent a link to buy a tester for $9.

I havnt told him to do a compression test ONCE! :mad:

Do a compression test!

Do a compression test!

There. Twice.

Dont mess around with the distributor. Not goint to be any gain on it. My car has a stock HEI non CCC dist and the car is decently quick.

Get the compression test done and go to the junkyard and get a distributor for your car.

Back