DIVORCE SALE: 87 WE4 in D/FW

I agree that it's just parts. He said that the title isn't in his name. And once his wife/ex realizes it is gone (probably in her name) and reports it stolen, then all it will be is stolen parts. I hope that Kevin87TurboT doesn't get burned.

just a guess here,but if he files for lost title it will HAVE to be in his name to do so,which means paper trail for lawyers during a divorce....as long as the car wasnt stolen,anyone can get a title very easily...and if it was stolen,some places can do leans and collect storage or just title the car..

But if it's in his ex's name, she can report it stolen.

Seller should be careful not to sell this car in a manner that may throw a flag and arouse suspicion lest it be determined by the court as a fraudulent transaction perpetrated to avoid/minimize the loss.

I had a similar experience with a guy, ironically also from the Dallas area. Bought the car but never transferred it into his name. Refused to transfer it, so I bought elsewhere and Im glad I did. From what I gather, the title isnt in Nachos name, or his soon-to-be-exs name. Its in the guy he bought it from name. Therefore, he cannot file for a lost title because its not in his name. Also, if he had the title in his hand (as was the case with the car I was looking at), he would have to transfer it into his name and pay the tag and tax on it. I'm sure the penalty on the tag after 8 years would be pretty steep. I briefly considered purchasing the car and then using my in-laws wrecker company to title 42 the car, which would give me a clear title and only cost me the fee to file the title 42. Best of luck to both parties involved. I hate to see guys having to practically "give" away their cars due to a divorce.

Hey ya'll,

I just stopped in to check up on this post. I see one person here was saying it was a shady deal???

I just wanted to take a few moments to address that. First of all, as I explained on the phone several times, I do not have the time to go to a court house and get all the paperwork done. I am trying to vacate my house asap and get a realtor to come put the house on the market. For the last few days I have been landscaping, painting, staining my fence etc and that is my first priority.

Secondly, the car is NOT in my wife's name. As I said before, I purchased this car before I met her. I was younger back then and my main interest was to have a nice Buick I could take to the race track. I already had another daily driver so the Buick was more of a toy.

To be honest, I am in a rush to sell because I need to start saving money. I have never been divorced but I knwo that it's not a cheap thing. My son is in the middle of all this and getting him situated and also my house are the top priority. I have been upfront with everyone that has called me.

If for some reason the deal falls through and noone is interested then that is fine. I can always tow the car to my friends and let it sit until all the dust settles and maybe my intentions will change and I will keep it. But at this moment, I was hoping to clear it out of my backyard and just keep going forward.

And if anyone wants to discuss this or has any issues, please call me and you will see I am being up front about everything...(214) 641-8368.

Carlos,
I don't think you've been shady about any of this. I'm looking forward to meeting you and will be there tomorrow night.
Thanks.
Kevin

Carlos,
I don't think you've been shady about any of this. I'm looking forward to meeting you and will be there tomorrow night.
Thanks.
Kevin

I appreciate your reply. You're also gonna be driving a long way so please feel free to crash at my place if you like. I've got a family room with a big couch that you're more than welcome to.

Sorry, man - not trying to piss in your wheaties but I had to chime in here. You MUST realize that your story is exactly what a thief would cook up in order to dump a hot car. You must get the title before you sell it to somebody. If anybody buys this car without a title you need to have your head examined. Do you mean to tell us that you have owned this car since '99 and never got around to transfering the title into your name? The previous owner still "owns" the car and could report it stolen at any time. Also, in order to have a title in their name, a potential buyer would have to track down the guy that sold you the car 8 years ago (if you could even find him and if he is still alive....) and ask HIM to go apply for a duplicate title, then he would have to legally "sell" the car to the new buyer - unless you wanted him to transfer it into your name first, then you pay taxes, then you flip it into the new buyers name. Either way, it is unwise to buy this car, or any car for that matter without a title. Sorry again, just my .02

sell it to your brother or best friend for 20 bucks. Its theirs now and she can't touch it. Then get it back after Daniel Ray

That is called a fraudulent transaction. Won't fly with the court and will make them lean more in her favor as the husband is "obviously" trying to "hide" assets...

sell it to your brother or best friend for 20 bucks. Its theirs now and she can't touch it. Then get it back after Daniel Ray

Guys....at least read the thread before you post 'advice'. Title isn't in his name or her name. It's in a third parties name from damn near 10 years ago. If this third party decided to claim it was stolen, which for all we know it was, then Kevin87TurboT just got bent over.

good point, I never claimed to be a lawyer lol. But being the title is not in his name then its really a mute point anyway. She can't prove its his I quess anyway.

Sorry, man - not trying to piss in your wheaties but I had to chime in here. You MUST realize that your story is exactly what a thief would cook up in order to dump a hot car. You must get the title before you sell it to somebody. If anybody buys this car without a title you need to have your head examined. Do you mean to tell us that you have owned this car since '99 and never got around to transfering the title into your name? The previous owner still "owns" the car and could report it stolen at any time. Also, in order to have a title in their name, a potential buyer would have to track down the guy that sold you the car 8 years ago (if you could even find him and if he is still alive....) and ask HIM to go apply for a duplicate title, then he would have to legally "sell" the car to the new buyer - unless you wanted him to transfer it into your name first, then you pay taxes, then you flip it into the new buyers name. Either way, it is unwise to buy this car, or any car for that matter without a title. Sorry again, just my .02

You're exactly right. And the previous owner could decide they want the car back and refuse to do it. Not only that, someone owes taxes from 1999 until now, and penalties depending on what state the car was in. And as far as the Carfax and what it would show, it would show if the gf titled the car in her name with the missing title.

Carlos,
Thanks again for the hospitality. That was my first trip to Texas. It was really cool to have hot fajitas and cold beer waiting on me. I wish you the very best of luck in the future.
Kevin

Carlos,
Thanks again for the hospitality. That was my first trip to Texas. It was really cool to have hot fajitas and cold beer waiting on me. I wish you the very best of luck in the future.
Kevin

Yea it was nice meeting you and your buddy. I hope the races on Saturday went well for him. I'm always here so if you need anything, just give me a call on my cell!