diy alchohol kit......no problems

Red Regal T

Hey, one of our members, Steve Monroe, has a site that gives easy, complete, instructions on "how to" make up and install an alchohol injection system. I put mine together about three years ago. While you have to get parts from different vendors, it takes no more time to install than anything else. Cost me about $150 then and I think I can duplicate it today for $175. Spend more if you want. :p Here's Steve Monroe's website....

http://home.att.net/~stevemon/AlcoholInjMod.html

I have more than 60,000 miles on my car since I installed the diy kit, and can truthfully say, it has never failed to come on. I have no knock in high gear at 24 psi running a TE44 turbo. I never had any problem tuning it. Just figure your turn-on point, usually between 10 and 15#s of boost, set it and forget it. There is no pump speed to set. Pump is preset to 60 psi and I use a .032 jet and a one gallon reservoir. End of story! When people talk about alky being hard to tune, I really don't know what they're talking about. :confused:

Also, I've never used any type of lube in my reservoir. If it makes you feel better to use it, then use it. Maybe it's necessary if you only use your car as a weekend warrior. I use mine, all the time. Thanks again to Steve Monroe for making this alcohol kit recipe available for all Turbo Regal owners. ;)

John you are always looking out to save people money. :)

I believe that you are running a sure-flo pump, and methanol?

Great to hear that someone has had no problems with corrosion running meth. Right?

For the go-getters, this is the way to go!! ;)

Steve I put a link to your site on my web page, hope thats all right.

I used the NOS switch that you recommended, it works great.

John are you running a stock turbo with that .032 jet? I have a .036 in mine now, but I am getting a little part throttle (~18psi or so) surge, so I think I am going to add more alcohol to the mix.

I got 2.1* of knock today, but it was 42 degrees out so I figure that will go away when the weather gets decent

I'm using the SUREFLO pump. I've been using 2:1 methanol/water for the past 6 months. I installed a JC TE-44 about 4 months ago.

Hey Steve.......guys keep saying Nittos! Nittos!....:rolleyes: Let them be blissfully ignorant. Don't spread this around but if you want great street traction, get yourself a couple Sumitomo HTRZ "W" rated street tires......only $95 each. You'll be surprised how good they grab and so will your competition. :eek:

http://www.carreview.com/PRD_1011_1577crx.aspx

Ok for you Florida dudes, but they don't like snow. Also they need to be rotated often. Sidewalls are weak in cornering, so don't put them on the front. (esp. on our cars!)

Other reviews I read said that they squeal as they reach the traction limit. My Nittos don't do that. The last thing I want to do is advertise those brief spurts of acceleration to a cop sitting around the corner.

I get 1.74 60" times out of mine by dropping the tire pressure to 20#, and launching at 3-4 ppsi. I wait a quarter of a second after releasing the brake and letting the weight transfer to the back tires, to apply full throttle. Using this method generates little to NO tire spin. I'm happy with kind of 60" time, and slicks prolly wouldn't be all that much better.. (2 tenths?)

I generally agree with your 'no bull$hit' posts, John, but this time I gotta stick up for the Nittos...:)

BTW what size are you running? ;)

Those reviews looked pretty good to me..........reflects what I said. "W" rated (168 mph), much cheaper than Nittos. Sorry, no squeal. Sidewall flex in cornering at 80 mph????? Who da hell does that? While you MIGHT get me out of the gate after doing burnouts at the track, who does burnouts at a stoplight. I'm talking street use. Don't do a burnout with your Nittos, and I'll jump you by two cars! :p

Ok John, but what is the tire size do you run?

Hell somebody might believe you, and want to run the tires. Be a shame if they were running the wrong size as well as the wrong tire...;)

BTW you have to make enough power to spin the wheels in order to make that 'squeal' .

Maybe that's is your problem....;)

J/K, last I remember you were in the 12's

Hey Tim......I'm running 255 50 16s on my IROC wheels. They don't make any noise when they spin. I had no idea before I purchased them that they really hook good. I just bought them because of the rating an that they are 26.2" tall. All the other brands are 26" even. I'd like 26.5 but nobody makes them.

Hey, did I ever tell you about some cheap TTop seals? ;)

He he John, yes you did! :)

You are the man!

Hey I'm planning a trip to Florida this year, may have to stop by and just say hello! I'll E-Mail you as soon as soon as I know when I'm leaving...;)

NITTOS.....GREAT HIWAY TIRE!

Great Tim.......hope you can come by this way. Let me ask you a question......When you drive down from Jersey, will you be using your Nittos? :D

WITH SO MUCH CONFUSION OUT THERE ON HOW MUCH MONEY TO SPEND FOR A POWER ADDER SYSTEM, JUST THOUGHT I'D PASS ALONG THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPEND MORE THAN $200 TO PROTECT YOUR ENGINE FROM KNOCK AT HIGH BOOST.......DOWN TO 11s. ;)

John what you fail to realize is that not everyone has the time, or wants to take the time, or has the ability to make their own kit. Yes I made my own kit, but the fact is that the majority of the population wants to pick up a phone, call someone and have a plug and play kit delivered to their doorstep.

Congratulations to you and your hundreds of posts telling everyone how well your kit works, but butting in on every thread and telling people they are stupid and wasting their money is a little absurd. Of course this one is your thread so you can put whatever you want in it.

The fact is some people have the money to burn, and are willing to pay for convenience. I say if they want to spend it, let them.

Originally posted by blackbuick87
John what you fail to realize is that not everyone has the time, or wants to take the time, or has the ability to make their own kit. Yes I made my own kit, but the fact is that the majority of the population wants to pick up a phone, call someone and have a plug and play kit delivered to their doorstep.

Congratulations to you and your hundreds of posts telling everyone how well your kit works, but butting in on every thread and telling people they are stupid and wasting their money is a little absurd. Of course this one is your thread so you can put whatever you want in it.

The fact is some people have the money to burn, and are willing to pay for convenience. I say if they want to spend it, let them.

I DON'T LIKE THIS RESPONSE. IT IS TOTAL BULL$HIT. WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM? MAYBE YOU'RE THE ONE WHO THINKS EVERYBODY IS TOO STUPID TO PUT TOGETHER A DIY KIT. I THINK MOST PEOPLE ARE UNAWARE THAT THE INFORMATION EXISTS. JUST SHOW ME WHEN I'VE ACCUSED ANYBODY ON THIS BOARD OF BEING STUPID. YOU'RE A LIAR! HUNDREDS OF POSTS ABOUT MY DIY KIT? YOU'RE FULL OF IT.

BUTTING IN ON THREADS???.......WHAT ARE TALKING ABOUT? SAY WHAT YOU WANT BUT YOU'RE TOTALLY OUT OF LINE. MY RESPONSES ARE ON TOPIC AND I HAVE A RIGHT TO SAY WHAT I WANT WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION. DON'T TRY TO MAKE POINTS BY MAKING UP THINGS I NEVER SAID!!!

ANYBODY WHO WANTS TO SPEND, WHATEVER THEY WANT TO SPEND, CAN DO THAT. I NEVER TOLD ANYONE WHAT TO DO. I ONLY PUT OUT INFORMATION.

Personally, I appreciate the info I have received from John's posts. And, I appreciate this one. John has years of experience that I can benefit from. I have never perceived him as "buttin in". Just my opinion.:)

Re: NITTOS.....GREAT HIWAY TIRE!

Originally posted by Red Regal T
Great Tim.......hope you can come by this way. Let me ask you a question......When you drive down from Jersey, will you be using your Nittos? :D

Hey John, I was thinking of flying. Got old friends in the state.

I will suggest nittos to the captain of the 747 just to see if we can improve his 60' times..:)

While we are at it, I will suggest a DIY for the jet engines. I bet he will have no problem running a 50-50 mix at full pump speed!:D

Blackbuick, you had to rattle his chain just to see if he would come running out of his house all snarling and barking his head off in capital letters. Did you expect anything else to happen?:D

I can't wait to see Reds' DIY. It prolly glows in the dark like some kind of a Holy Grail! I'll get some holy water out of it and bless my car with it before I crank the boost up.:cool:

For $5 you New Jersey guys can get blessed at Atco next Thursday. Blackbuick gets blessed for free because he has broken a comandment and is a "LIAR, LIAR, LIAR!" and needs it more than the rest. :cool:

I would build one,but I already went ahead and wasted my $$ on propane.:rolleyes: Luckily, over the next say.... 20 years, I will spend only $100.00 or so for propane.Between that and almost zero maintainence required should exclude it from the "waste of money" catergory.
Also,if your into these cars money really should not be an issue,that's the way it was when they were new and is still pretty much the case.Otherwise, a nice Monte Carlo with a 305 would be a more budget freindly choice :p

Originally posted by TurboBuickSix
I would build one,but I already went ahead and wasted my $$ on propane.:rolleyes: Luckily, over the next say.... 20 years, I will spend only $100.00 or so for propane.Between that and almost zero maintainence required should exclude it from the "waste of money" catergory.
Also,if your into these cars money really should not be an issue,that's the way it was when they were new and is still pretty much the case.Otherwise, a nice Monte Carlo with a 305 would be a more budget freindly choice :p

Allright Dave, since you insist, I'll explain. I don't know why you keep putting up these rediculous arguments. OK....point by point, for the benefit of those who may be interested in saving money and installing their own DIY alcohol system. You forgot to mention that you only use your car three months a year. "0" maintenance? How would you know?..........you haven't had any experience with your propane system. I hope it works out but talk to me about it in a couple years.

You wanna' talk about fuel cost for the system? It costs me about $15 for five gallons of menthanol and the distilled water that I mix in. It's good for about three months. I drive my car 600 miles a week with a pretty low 10#s of boost activation point. I don't think I'll be going broke soon buying my methanol. As I mentioned to you in other threads, it's not much of a point, one way or the other.

Now, I can tell YOU about ZERO maintenance with the DIY kit on my car. Over three years on the car, over 60,000 miles with ZERO maintenance, other than changing the in-line filter. I use no lube and have never had the system off. NOW THAT'S ZERO MAINTENANCE. I can't speak for other power adder systems. :confused:

Finally, money shouldn't be an issue? Just another uninformed statement. Money is ALWAYS an issue. If someone can have the same results for 1/3rd or 1/5th the money, I think a lot of guys would make the choice to save the money and have the satisfaction of doing it themselves. ;)

Re: Re: NITTOS.....GREAT HIWAY TIRE!

Originally posted by Turbo__Tim
Hey John, I was thinking of flying. Got old friends in the state.

:cool:

I DON'T BLAME YOU FOR FLYING. PROBABLY WOULDN'T MAKE IT ON THOSE NITTOS! :p