DIY Intake Porting

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

I'm pulling my engine to fix a persistent oil leak and repaint it. Since it's coming out figured I might tackle some of the unadressed aspects of the engine build when I put it together years ago, namely the bone stock intake sitting on Champion CNC irons.

I can't afford a real Champion CNC intake but I have a grinder, a small mill, and time. From reaching OLD posts, it seems worth doing but there were mixed responses on doing the standard valley pan intake gasket match vs. going for Felpro 1200's. Thoughts?

Might want to reach out to DankGN (Chris Marin) here on the board....

I have always done all my porting to the felpro 1200 gaskets . What are your heads ported to because it doesn’t really make any sense to port the intake to 1200s and have your heads smaller.

I think I remember that Champion CNC irons are matched to the Felpro 1200 but honestly don't know nor can I find a reference to which it is.

When you get the intake assy apart, pull off the plenum and draw around the ports when a Sharpie.

Then put the intake back in place, start all 10 bolts and push it back as far as you can. Once that's done straighten out a paper clip but leave a 180 hook on the end. Reach through all the intake ports and scribe the flange to match your heads.

The rest is pretty obvious.

When you get the intake assy apart, pull off the plenum and draw around the ports when a Sharpie.

Then put the intake back in place, start all 10 bolts and push it back as far as you can. Once that's done straighten out a paper clip but leave a 180 hook on the end. Reach through all the intake ports and scribe the flange to match your heads.

The rest is pretty obvious.
Good idea, once it's on the stand I'll do that.

Thanks

My champion irons are ported to the stock gasket dimensions. Lots of guys running fast with a simple squaring of the ports and light metal removal at the injector.

As stated, you do not want the intake port larger than the head port. I prefer them slightly smaller if anything. Felpro 1200s on iron heads are a PITA imo.

My champion irons are ported to the stock gasket dimensions. Lots of guys running fast with a simple squaring of the ports and light metal removal at the injector.

As stated, you do not want the intake port larger than the head port. I prefer them slightly smaller if anything. Felpro 1200s on iron heads are a PITA imo.
Good to know on the 1200's Was not looking forward to resolving the valley pan side of it. I'll take a look at the scribe lines and see how much is there and definitely going to mill out the EGR tower since it's not active anyway.

Thoughts on opening up the plenum side?

. . . . Thoughts on opening up the plenum side?
Not sure I understand the question but if it's related to increasing plenum volume, the answer is "it depends". The decision should be made based on the rpm/mass flow.

I hesitate to call it knife edging but that's that the extreme end of opening up the plenum side of the runners. I'll be in there anyway for the EGR tower so thought I'd ask.

I hesitate to call it knife edging but that's that the extreme end of opening up the plenum side of the runners. I'll be in there anyway for the EGR tower so thought I'd ask.
Valid question.

I would just clean it up lightly if there are big casting irregularities. There is no measurable power in knife edging.

Champion intake for your reference

Attachments

• 20150607_093814.jpg
    20150607_093814.jpg
    602.7 KB · Views: 80
It is my understanding that
Stock plenum = 9 sec power

****Plenty of people have run pretty deep into the low 10's and 9's with that stock plenum/intake. I guess it won't hurt anything since you have the intake off anyway, or just want to do it. Sometimes there's casting flash on the injector ports that can be cleaned up, and I've seen folks polish the plenum to a mirror finish, etc... Looks pretty, dunno how much good it does.

****Plenty of people have run pretty deep into the low 10's and 9's with that stock plenum/intake.
I am fully aware of that but won't confirm unless I either run 9's with one, or see one taken off a car right after a 9 sec run.

Now if someone who has run 9's confirms, so be it.

:oops:

I guess my question would be what's the point, other than creating "mini" turbulence and some sort of a visual "cool factor" ?

I have always been led to believe forced induction would benefit the most by the least restriction possible....... but I'm old school....... like I fart dust old school......:D;)

Last edited: