You can type here any text you want

Do I have a posi?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1LowLeSabre

I have an '87 T with a 3:42(GU6) rear end. Is there a of knowing of it posi by looking at it or rather by that code?

Sorry, new to them and I want to learn as much a possible. Thanks.

Look at your RPO sticker in the trunk. It just has a series of alpha numeric codes. See if you find G80 on it. If so, your car came with a posi. Not saying it is still in the car though. Also look to see if you have a tag attached to one of the differential cover bolts that says "USE POSI ADDITIVE". Not a tell tale but if you have the tag it is probably a posi.

Then again the easiest way is to pull the car into the street. Apply the brakes firmly. Build some boost and blow the tires loose. If you have two nice thick black marks you have a posi:cool:

Have you done a burn out yet? If only one spinning it is a peg leg...

Jack up the back end and spin one of the rear wheels by hand. If both wheels turn the same way you have posi. If the other side spins the opposite way, no posi.

On my RPO under GU6 is G80...SWEET!

I know quet a bit of history on the car and as far as I know the rear end has never been changed.

I did a nice little burn out today and was pretty sure it was posi, but I didn't go back to look at my tracks since there was an onld man in his front lawn giving me some nasty looks wile I was doing it.

It appears you have a posi then:biggrin: Now go out there and properly enjoy your aquisition:cool:

On my RPO under GU6 is G80...SWEET!

I know quet a bit of history on the car and as far as I know the rear end has never been changed.

I did a nice little burn out today and was pretty sure it was posi, but I didn't go back to look at my tracks since there was an onld man in his front lawn giving me some nasty looks wile I was doing it.

Cool!!! Old men usually don't like that;) I would have had to have snuck back for a peak. I enjoy doing long burnouts better than racing personally:biggrin:

Should look like this:biggrin: tuneok.jpg

Blah....don't worry about him...he's just wishing he could be doing the same thing....;)

sorry to high jack your thread but did the gns come with true posi or limited slip im a little confused..my car came with a trunk kit thats glued on so i havent checked for the code yet but i did my brakes a couple of weeks ago and had the wheels up in the air and turned the right rear foward and the left one turn on the opposite way. so that means i dont have posi right..but when i do a burn out they both leave marks..what does that mean?

That means your posi may be brokeded!!!! actually i owned a 74 firebird that was a peg leg but occasionally if it was feeling frogish it would pull posi lol...

Pull the cover off your rear axle and if it looks like this- You have a factory Posi. I took these pics of my rear axle today.

Also, If your axle is original to the car it will have this "3TP" stamp on the passengers side axle tube on the front if it's a factory Posi.

John

Attachments

• axle1.jpg
    axle1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 102
  • axle4.jpg
    axle4.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 112
if i take the cover off is there a certain thing to look for or just make sure it looks alike?

looked for the numbers on the passenger side and it reads 2TJ i guess im not posi.. kinda disapointing my car came with pretty much every option it could

Back