You can type here any text you want

Do I need a new Extender Extreme Chip?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1KWIKSIX

My car has a 160 T-stat in it and it's been in there for 4-5 yrs working great with no issues.

Just finished putting my car back together & on the road over the weekend. Warmed up the car & let it cycle thru till the fans came on (175deg F).
Went for a gentle (non spirited) drive on the highway, cruising at 70mph (outdoor ambient temperature was about 79deg F)........the Scanmaster showed the engine coolant temperature between 148degF and 152deg F while I was driving on the highway. The coolant temperature did increase upwards of 165 at stop signs / stop lights on the side streets and would reach 175deg F at which point the fans would come on and it would drop to about 165-167deg F.

Over the winter I did put a new radiator in the car (with RMI-25 & glycol) and am thinking that I should now replace the 160 T-stat possibly with a 180 deg thermostat. Keep in mind that this car is street driven only.

My extender extreme chip has the fans coming on at 175deg F. If I install a 180deg T-stat, will I need a new chip burnt to accomodate the 180 T-stat?

Thanks,

Dave

I would leave the chip alone, running the fans more (or all the time) keeps the underhood temps down which is a good thing.

Bob

Back