Do I need an extender chip or not???

fatride

I'm new to the world of Translators, I do not have the plus on my car. Do I need an extender chip or not? I have a Testa chip in it now. Will it benifit me?

You don't NEED one.You can use the chip you have if you like it.The extender does have some cool options and also doubles the GPS that your MAF can read allowing for more optimum fueling.That is the only difference.

Hey sixgun86, do you have any track times of your setup? I'm running almost the same setup.

I have one for sale if you need it. I went to a thrasher and my car really likes it. I do miss the options on the extender though. Maf dropout is a problem now. I'm maxing the gps at 2/3 throttle at about 3200 rpms. I may just go ahead and get the setup to burn my own. I would love to have mine reburnt with thrasher programming and the dropout and spool fuel and all the other goodies associated with the extender. But alas that would be stealing someone else work and I'm not a big fan of that....

trading t/a,

Just so ya know, the Thrasher already is immune to MAF dropout. You may see the dropout on Direct Scan, but it should not affect the fueling. It also has spool fuel (it has a separate fuel table for zero mph) although you can't adjust it externally, you would have to adjust it in the chip.

Eric

I'm definately seeing drop out. I cant point it to anything else. But I max the gps very early and once and a while it cuts out then goes back and I've also noticed that when this happens my o2's go to 000 then catch again. Do you have any suggestions. With the extender it ran very rich at idle and lean at top. At 16-18 psi I would see some knock(2.7-4.5*). Now with the Thrasher I can go to 20-22 psi and get very little knock. Could the Extender be masking another problem you think. The one thing I've noticed is that with the extender I was able to spool quicker, the Thrasher feels slower from 2-12 psi than the Extender but from 14 up it pulls harder with the Thrasher. I definately like the Thrasher better. If I could just adjust the spooling fuel a little I think that would cure it. I still wanna find out why it is dropping out once and a while though.

Thanx for your input guys........and for hijacking someone elses post, Sorry!!!!:)

Originally posted by Eric Stage I
trading t/a,

Just so ya know, the Thrasher already is immune to MAF dropout. You may see the dropout on Direct Scan, but it should not affect the fueling. It also has spool fuel (it has a separate fuel table for zero mph) although you can't adjust it externally, you would have to adjust it in the chip.

Eric

Eric, you might want to double check the thrasher programming. It's been discovered quite some time ago that the MAF lock algorythms running around in a lot of chips really don't work as advertised. I've seen several different MAF lock patches tried in various chips, including mine, and some thrashers. While it helped a little in limited cases, it didn't cure the problem, not even mine :mad:

As far as I know the only one (patch) that really does work as advertised is in the Extenders.

Ok Dave, I'll sift through it again. I've also been working on a patch for that in my own chip. (Not quite there yet, had g/s go to 255 while power braking;) , need more conditions).

Just curious, why would the Extender need MAF lock? Or is it for when it maxes at 512g/s?

Originally posted by Eric Stage I
Ok Dave, I'll sift through it again. I've also been working on a patch for that in my own chip. (Not quite there yet, had g/s go to 255 while power braking;) , need more conditions).

Just curious, why would the Extender need MAF lock? Or is it for when it maxes at 512g/s?

Thanks,
Eric

It doesn't, not really, it's not a MAF lock patch, but rather some other things in there to prevent such things when it does top out.

I wish I could remember what it is in the Translator that also has an affect on MAF dropouts, but for the life of me I can't remeber right now.
I could be wrong, but assuming the dip switches are set properly in the T or T+ it should help clear up drop outs on non Ext. chips also. I seem to remember seeing that somewhere along the line in the testing but I may be speaking out of turn again :(

My main point was that there's been some pretty good testing done to quite a few (not all) chips with various MAF lock patches that were installed for the purpose of stopping MAF dropouts, and they just didn't seem to help much.

Dave and Trading t/a

Searched through the code again, and I think Dave's right. It looks like the Thrasher may leave the potential to "miss" some dropouts.

Thanks for the info Dave!

Eric

Originally posted by trading t/a
I'm definately seeing drop out. I cant point it to anything else. But I max the gps very early and once and a while it cuts out then goes back and I've also noticed that when this happens my o2's go to 000 then catch again. Do you have any suggestions. With the extender it ran very rich at idle and lean at top. At 16-18 psi I would see some knock(2.7-4.5*). Now with the Thrasher I can go to 20-22 psi and get very little knock. Could the Extender be masking another problem you think. The one thing I've noticed is that with the extender I was able to spool quicker, the Thrasher feels slower from 2-12 psi than the Extender but from 14 up it pulls harder with the Thrasher. I definately like the Thrasher better. If I could just adjust the spooling fuel a little I think that would cure it. I still wanna find out why it is dropping out once and a while though.

Thanx for your input guys........and for hijacking someone elses post, Sorry!!!!:)

You went from and Extender to a Thrasher??? Just get in touch with Bob Bailey and have him tweak your Extender chip's fueling a little. Send him some DS or TL files so he can nail it down. IMO the Extender is absolutely the best chip on the market, bar none, and is made to work with yout Translator setup. I would switch back ina heartbeat if I was you. No flame inteneded.

I will be swapping back. As of right now I do not have ds. Or my laptop(lent to some friends to help plan their wedding). I do agree that the chip is great. I just like the fueling of the Thrasher. If it weren't illegal and immoral I would send Bob both chips and have him hijack the Thrasher and add the other options. As I said the dropout is a real pita. But performance wise for my combo the Thrasher works better. I think it may be time to buy my own gear and tweak the extender.

Plus I found it to be a little easier tuning with the Thrasher the update speed of the extender is fast and I cant really monitor the o2's like the Thrasher. I'll get it right eventually.

Do any of you guys think that the 868's aren't enough to feed the engine with a 44 at say 24-25 psi. There not maxed out now at 20 or so. I know I do have a little extra fuel if I need it.

There was a great thread recently about a 44 w/009s...

55s were suggested as a minimum...

HTH :)

Woh! 55's that kinda sounds like overkill. They push a hell of a lot of fuel. I think they would be better suited for a 45 than a 44

You probably need to find the thread from just a few days ago about all the issues involved from various perspectives.

I think it was titled something like:

"Are my 42.5s enough?"

Key thing to remember is the chip determines fuel utilization...the chip...not the injector.

Fuel injector "under-kill" pops more HGs (& worse) than any other single cause I've ever heard of.

HTH :)

Just re-read your thread & see you don't have Direct Scan.

When you do have it up & running, check your injectors duty cycle...record a WOT blast through an 1/8, or 1/4, if you can.

For safety's sake, a duty cycle of 85% would sure make me happy.

You've gotten some good advice previously from an earlier reply.

Send a DS recording to Bob at Ramchargers & he'll tune an Extender in just for your combo's needs.

I do hope you'll search & read the earlier thread on this topic.

:)