Do you use the same brand primer as you do paint

kevinm

Do you use the same brand primer as you do paint ? like ppg paint and primer ? thanks

Its best to stick with the same company IMO. They have been R&D'd to work with each other.

X2

that is the best way to stick w/ the same brand.

But....technically a cured substrate is a substrate..alot of guys/even body shops use a different primer than paint, once it's dry, and gets sanded, should be fine. Personally all of the side stuff I do, I use Transtar Primer, and then all Omni-- sealer, base and clear.. ( I know, cheap stuff, but has treated me good over the years) I've used this same system on my own cars, one of them sits outside all the time, has held up for over 4 years now.. Also had some of my stuff smashed, and the paint was still holding. Just my experience w/ mixing primer and paint brands..

I recently did some lawn furniture as body work practice. They told me at the paint shop that most of the some combinations will work (I was using deltron reducer with Omni basecoat) will work but if you're not using the "system" the vendors won't warranty the job from defects.