You can type here any text you want

Does the bore centerline intersect the crank centerline?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

pfredric

Does the cylinder bore centerline intersect the crankshaft centerline on our Turbo motors?

It better.:biggrin: :confused:
Had my block bored 20 over. 1, 3 and 5 didn't clean up, the original bore wasn't touched at the bottom on the non-thrust side. 2, 4 and 6 were like that too, just not as bad. Looks like a lower case "n" where the boring didn't touch the original hole.

My machinist is a chebby guy, mega experience boring, but not much with Buicks. He says 30 over ought to get it.

I'm just wondering if there was something my machinist and I didn't know about. I've heard that the Buick V6 is an "offset" block. I believe it refers to the postioning of the cylinders with respect to each other side to side, not with regard to the crankshaft centerline.

Thanks for answering.:smile:

Had my block bored 20 over. 1, 3 and 5 didn't clean up, the original bore wasn't touched at the bottom on the non-thrust side. 2, 4 and 6 were like that too, just not as bad. Looks like a lower case "n" where the boring didn't touch the original hole.

My machinist is a chebby guy, mega experience boring, but not much with Buicks. He says 30 over ought to get it.

I'm just wondering if there was something my machinist and I didn't know about. I've heard that the Buick V6 is an "offset" block. I believe it refers to the postioning of the cylinders with respect to each other side to side, not with regard to the crankshaft centerline.

Thanks for answering.:smile:

Yes, offset means the cylinders are offset from their rod throw, but in the fore and aft plane. Thrust/non thrust planes should be dead nuts on.

Yes, offset means the cylinders are offset from their rod throw, but in the fore and aft plane. Thrust/non thrust planes should be dead nuts on.
Yep, confirmed.:cool:

Rich Lasseter's May/June 2007 GS-Xtra included an article from Tom Shea that explains what "offset" means: "The production blocks found in our cars are "Off Center" meaning that the cylinder bores are offset from the centerline of the crank rod journal by .120."

I haven't yet figured out in which direction, but I speculate that it will switch side to side.

Anyone know which direction?

I imagine I might be able to see 1/8th" difference on the pistons side to side, but haven't looked.

The offset is always towards the counterweights on the crank throws. I think its 1 Forward, 2 Back, 3 Forwards, 4 Back, 5 Forwards, 6 Back. I could be wrong with order but they are paired so that one bank, the offset is towards the front of the block and the other towards the back.

Back