You can type here any text you want

Does torque converter lock up with no speed sensor input?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNWRXRon

I just read the Kirban Performance news letter that contained the following
information.

"Rick, a customer of mine who had a GNX styled dash
installed noticed that on the highway
his transmission temp. would be around 230 degrees.
He contacted his local transmission shop and they told him
it should be under 200 degrees. It turns out his VSS-Vehicle
Speed Sensor was not hooked up. This sensor relays the cars
speed to the ECM. Without this sensor the computer
would not lock up the torque converter with the TCC
Solenoid. Your torque converter should lock up around
45 mph. A transmission shop would be able to
explain it better if its something you are not sure
of. If you have the GNX style dash you can contact
Rick who gave me this info for the fix."

Well, my car also has the GNX aftermarket dash. My transmission does not tend to overheat. However, there is a very large aftermarket transmission cooler installed on my car. When I installed a new cruise control switch stalk recently my cruise control still did not work. The shop that installed my switch said that their scan indicated that there was no speed sensor input. My miledge is in the low to mid teens and other owners have told me they are in the 20s. I am thinking that my torque converter may very well not be locking up at any speed.

Anyone in Western Washington have a fix?

I had the same problem (w/no lockout). Turned out to be the brake pedal sensor that disengaged the l.o. when the brake was depressed was mal-adjusted and sending a signal out that indicated that the brake was constantly depressed. Easy to check, easy to fix, though it sounds like that may not be your problem.

Otherwise: give Dave Splett at Trans-Service (Lynnwood WA) a call (425) 774-4966. He's built the trannys of most of the GN guys I know in the area. Great guy!

Back