You can type here any text you want

Dog house gasket or rtv?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NorCalTurbos

Slowing down to SPEED UP!!!
Upper plenum leaking so I decided to add a power plate while I fix the leak. I ordered gaskets for power plate but they didn’t show up yet. Can I just use rtv and be done without the gaskets or do I need both? How are you guys doing this.

The Power Plate from RJC should come with the gaskets, unless you picked up a used one maybe.

I'm using the power plate on both my cars with provided gaskets. The WE4 only sees 15psi, but the 86 sees 32psi, maybe more in good air.

Zero issues with either car and those gaskets.

I have although considered adding an O-ring channels on both the intake and upper plenum surface allowing me to remove the gaskets. I would consider this on a new build, but not worth my time to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

My only gripe about RTV is the mess it makes and cleanup and prep required if I have to work on it in the future. Not to mention if prepped properly, the RTV will make separating the upper plenum very difficult.

gasket NO RTV
get some 220 wet dry sandpaper and a small sheet of glass and smooth both faces

I’ve got an old (maybe 30++ years old!!) roll of gasket material….kind of a dense mat little heavier than cardboard cereal box which I have also used….idea from earl brown. But used many many times without issue.

I have done both. RTV and no RTV. Always had the gasket(s) in place when running the RJC power plate. Also added a spacer with power plate so I had 3 gaskets total as well. I definitely agree with making sure the surfaces are flat. That can be a primary driver of leak if not flat.

Thanks everyone, when the vac block and gaskets show up I’ll install everything

gasket NO RTV
get some 220 wet dry sandpaper and a small sheet of glass and smooth both faces
Like THensley claimed, I too sanded smooth and flat and with no RTV, and no vacuum leaks

Attachments

• Throttle Body flat sanding.jpg
    Throttle Body flat sanding.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 14
Not to mention if prepped properly, the RTV will make separating the upper plenum very difficult.
I heard that the guy that invented the engine hoist is now providing a gasket set with every hoist.
I think those gaskets are in the kit.😬

I agree with others here. Careful sanding of the surfaces is very wise prep. I recently helped assemble an '87 and had a bad vacuum leak from below the plenum on first fire up. But the plenum gasket itself seemed awfully thin.

Back