You can type here any text you want

Doing A real low budget Rebuild this time.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I did put in a roller cam button in 06 when i replaced the OE chain with a double roller.
the reluctant builder has a dial gauge and all the tools to do the job.

For what he will charge to dress & torque the mains, measure the clearances, and torque up the rods and measure them... you could buy this kit and have it when you go to assemble the engine (and every block you ever want to check in the future).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-6-DIAL-IN...142?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f8cfb08e

I'm doing a budget rebuild like you are, but I am not to the finish line yet (I'm close), so I'll reserve judgement until I actually have it installed! I can tell you that I haven't taken the short block to a machine shop yet, and I am over $1000. Also my engine supposedly had 50k miles, so yours might require more $$.

Here are the heavy hitters:
Summit re-ring kit: $300
Valve job + resurface heads: $300
New Cam + Lifters (Lobes and lifters were worn): $270

Just keep in mind that things add up quickly, a bunch of new sensors and parts (timing set, valve springs, head bolts, paint, cleaner... etc. etc.) and I am well over 1k without ever taking the shortblock to the machine shop. And also, as Earl suggested, a good set of measuring tools is necessary.

Back