Don't laugh, but has you rear window come loose?

terryk

Don't laugh, but has your rear window come loose?

Has anyone had their rear window come loose? From what I can tell, the urethane has come completely loose along the bottom and both sides. The window is only held in still at the top. I can push on the bottom and swing it out like it's hinged at the top.

It looks like the urethane didn't adhere to the sheet metal and/or body twisting tore it loose.

I can easily remove it and glue it back in, but this is a new one on me folks.....

TK

86 TT

This is fairly common. I use the 3M window sealer.

Loose glass

Actually that's a common problem. The old ribbon type seal lets go after years of heat/cold/ twisting of the chassis.
Use the new gun applied seal.. not cheap, but it WILL NOT come out again!!

Chuck, I have seen this applied a the glass shop and it is awesome. I did not think of this product. I have been using the 3M for years with good luck.

Whew! Thanks. I figure it might another case of "If you can't fix it, feature it.".

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Terry

Rear glas seal

Terry, I'd ask a glass shop for a price, using the gun sealer. Considering the cost of the gun and a tube of sealer, the know how to use the stuff and not make a mess, the price is relatively cheap, VS do it yourself. You also have to clean the metal and prime it and also remove ALL the old stuff from the glass. The glass also rests on some little rubber spacers that have to be used to prevent the glass from shifting when laid in place. They also have the tool to remove the trim w/ out bending it. They will also have the plastic clips that hold the trim on. As for the filler below the glass, that is held on w/ clips. [3 screws too]. They are a dealer item, I think.:) :)

i had it happen on 3 different cars!

all the tr's i had need the window reglued.....2 top cars and 1 hardtop. i actually need to replace the one in the hardop cause it broke the defroster hook up. it was only like $100 installed with gm glass thankfully. wait till you fine the front pillar cracking , that is the big pain.

You got great avice......Let a GLAS SHOP DO THE WORK!!!!!

HTH'ed.. It's a trcky job, and one you only want to do once,
Right??

No, I meant that I prefer to not think about a front pillar cracking. There is a glass place close that will do it.

I didn't see this mentioned, but I used butyl tape to seal my rear window. It was easy to lay in place and once it's stuck, it isn't coming off. My rear window was so loose it would move back and forth when you shut the door from the air pressure change within the car! The molding was the only thing holding it in. It's been solid for 8 years (and 80,000 miles) now without a leak.

I've heard about great results from using the other methods menioned in previous posts, too. If you attempt to repair it yourself, remember to never touch the edge of the glass where the sealer will contact, because the natural oils in your fingertips will reduce the effectiveness of the sealer, and could invite leaks later on. Good luck!

Mine was so loose it was a hatch back. I installed the rear seat braces and had the window re-installed yesterday. Much better all around.

Thanks folks!

TK

86 TT