You can type here any text you want

Door Pods

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HYBRIDT

I'm 'gonna be building a new set of door pods for my car and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in purchasing these ones (pics in my sig below)? You do have to cut some holes in your doors but they look pretty cool. I'm not looking for bids or a bunch of e-mail address' I'm just wondering if there is any interest in these.

Thanks

Adam

I am interested those pods look great, I also love how you did your dash I wanted to do the exact same thing how exactly did you do it??. That is one Great Looking car

Killer Job!!!!,,,But can I ask why didnt you just build new door panels since you pretty much redid 70% of the old panel?

:)

They look pretty good, I especially like the speaker at
the rear of the door. What material did you make the
pods out of?
Larry.

Thanks guys:) Now let's see if I can answer your Q's

Kent, I'm not exactly sure how much detail you want me to go into for the gauges, but here goes. . . .
- I made 2 panels for actually mounting the gauges to 1 out of clear lexan and 1 out of smoked lexan.
- I cut the holes into both panels at the same time so they would line up w/each other.
- I then used rub-on letters that I got at my local hobby shop (I think tey were for model trains or something) to re-make the idiot lights on the far left, but I rubbed the letters on the clear lexan, which was the rear of the two panels.
- I took the factory idiot light housing of a stock gauge panel minus the metal front and indicator front and plastic welded and glued the remaining 'honeycomb' looking part to the rear of the clear lexan to correspond with my indicator letters.
- There was some trimming nes. to get the new front panel w/gauges to mount into a different support housing for the dash.
- I used a router w/an inverted bearing set up to trim out the front of my stock bezel.
-Then I glued another thin piece of lexan to the back of the bezel.
-Probably the toughest part was getting the wiring harness to work. It too a lot of cutting and re-making the molexes using more readily available molexes. A lot of my wiring info came from gnttype.org

AsphaltAnihil8r, I didn't rebuild the entire bottom of the door 'cause in my past experience it's been prety tough to come up with appropriate and lasting handles. Plus this way all of the styling cues (ridge around the edge of panel, chrome window trim, elbow rest, etc.) that say buick (or G-body) and make them recognizable are still there. It just kinda still looks stock, 'cept for all the round grills.

whitess, The speakers at the rear of the door are like front speakers for the rear passengers. The pods are made out of almost entirely fiberglass w/just a little wood backing.

Thanks again guys and I hope I could be of help.

ADUM

Thanks for information on the guages I was also planning on doing this but I never thought of keeping the Idiots lights I am glad I saw the pics of your dash before I started mine. If you are ever going to sell those pods let me know I will take a set!

You at the very least have to have the 'volt' light or else the car doesn't complete the circuit and the alternator won't charge. You will also need an adapter to add an external speed sense wire since the factory speed sense is built into the gauge cluster. I think you can buy them from gnxdash.com or whatever performance instruments web site is.

ADAM

Thanks Adam(Adum). I'd like to know if you do them, and how much if you do.
Larry.

Back