You can type here any text you want

Door switch flapper thing question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo6Smackdown

Does anyone know what this does? There's no wires leading to it that I can see, so I took it out to lube it (it was creaking) and boy what a mistake. SUPER hard to get back in. All I can see is that it's a flap with a coil type spring in it, doing absolutely nothing. Also, anyone know where to get gaskets for it?

IMG_20161016_210106478.jpg

Seat belt retractor. The fork fits in a slot inside the b pillar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ahhhhhh. So when the door opens it starts it's retraction? And when I replace it's gasket, is there an easier way to get er back in? Any tricks?

I need one of those as mine is broke and I would like to know how hard it is to replace it.

Takes just a few minutes to replace.... two screws.....IIRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It is a pain in the butt to get back in. You just have to keep trying till you get it in the right place. They are on ebay, roughly $20 each.
If you get a used one you may need to clean thoroughly and lubricate the spring on the new unit till it operates smoothly. Otherwise it will just stick and break the arm off again.
When the door is closed it allows you to pull the belt out a bit and it will stay instead of trying to choke you the whole time. Open the door and it will retract.

It's a MASSIVE pain in the ass to get back in. Took me 45 minutes lol. And if you're going to lubricate it, soak the entire head in something non petroleum based, and that won't dry up or congeal soon.

It's a device that causes you to have to stop the car and let the chick in the passenger seat (that for some reason wants to wear a seat belt) open the door and close it to make the belt retract where it goes.

When that ear breaks off, the seat belts work correctly.

It's a device that causes you to have to stop the car and let the chick in the passenger seat (that for some reason wants to wear a seat belt) open the door and close it to make the belt retract where it goes.

When that ear breaks off, the seat belts work correctly.

Huh? Let the chick open who's door, hers or yours. And why doesn't your belt retract otherwise? My flapper thingy works and my belt retracts too.

When the door is open, it signals the belt mechanism to reel it up. When the flap is broken, the belt always maintains a little bit of tension.

When everything is working you have to 'pop' the belt a few times to get it to reel in....

....unless you have one of those 30 year old TRs that likes to be a jerk from time to time. :)

Back