You can type here any text you want

DOT 5 brake fluid

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I don't see why not. I haven't done it on my TTA yet, but always do when restoring a complete brake system on older cars.

You must be sure to flush ALL of the old fluid out! DOT 5 silicone and DOT 3 do not mix!

I would drain the entire system, disconnect the brake lines at the master and open the caliper bleeders and GENTLY blow air through the lines to push out any remaining DOT 3. Also drain the master and bleed thoroughly with the dot 5. Then reinstall the brake lines, close the bleeders, and start to bleed the system one wheel at a time starting with right rear, then left rear, right front and left front!

DOT 5 is great stuff! It doesn't absorb moisture, doesn't harm paint and is more tollerant of high temps.

However you do it, just make sure you get all of the old fluid out!!

Good luck, Vic:cool:

I just replaced my accumulator and sucked out the brake fluid with a turkey baster. This is on my 87 GN. I added Valvoline synthetic brake fluid that says it exceeds Dot 3 and dot 4. Is this ok? I plan on bleeding the brakes soon anyway. What should I refill it with?

I switched mine over to dot 5 fluid a few years ago when I did the stainless earl lines. The only problem is sometimes it is hard to find, the local street bike shop down here carries it. So after a few years, it seems to be working well.

~Murt

Back