You can type here any text you want

Drag Slicks Screwed to wheels do you have to have tubes??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1987T

Looking for 10's
Ok like the titles says if your running a drag slick or a Street Slick like a Hoosier Quick time pro and screwed them to the wheel would you have to have tubes? I have seen a lot of drag radials screwed to wheels but non of them have had tubes in them. SO I was wondering if you really have to have them on Slick style tires.
I have always run tubes BUT I have had issues with them on the street splitting in the seams and crap. So if they would hold air fine without them and not leak when run hard that would be cool. Just want to see what others were doing and there results before I go get my new tires and wheel set up.
Thanks for your input.

If you run tubes, you have to screw the tire to the wheel. If you screw the tire to the wheel, you do not have to run tubes. I did it for a while but the tires would not hold air for more than a week.

I learned that not running tubes with slicks will slow your 60 foot times down.I never ran tubes until this last year and even though the added weight my 60 foot was improved and more consistant.I think it is due to the sidewall not getting crushed on the launch andthe rebound effect of the tire with a tube in it.Also running tubes is much safer IMHO.If you break a bead you could hit the wall

if you have drag radials and want to secure the tire dont screw the rims or youll ruin the tire , instead glue it to the rim and dont be stupid like someone i know who only screwed one side of the rim because they didnt want to see the screws in the front

my drag radials arent screwed or glued and spin about 1 1/2 - 3" every hit and thats inflated to 21psi, my slicks i run one set with and one set without tubes at 13-14 psi and they are screwed both sides

just mounted my 275 hoosiers, beadlocks on the outside and glued on the inside. Screws and radials are supposedly a bad combo.

Back