You can type here any text you want

Draw-thru engine put to good use...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbokinetic

Hey folks - I have a crazy idea for a project. In pieces; I have a draw-through 3.8 turbo engine that I was going to build up for a project car but found a better engine. (3.8 SFI)

Anyway - I have an old boat with a stern drive that I may use the draw-through turbo engine with.

Here is the engine, together, in the car before I pulled it down. It has been converted to throttle body EFI, but is still draw-through:
Overview.jpg

The boat is a 17 foot Lone Star, from 1978 (IIRC). It is need of a restoration, but I have all the trim for it and the hull is good.

I have an idea to build a system that would provide filtered lake water for water injection to keep detonation at bay.

Assuming there is adequate oil cooling and no detonation, I wonder what kind of CONTINUOUS DUTY boost and HP this engine can withstand in a marine application?

If it can make 200 HP continuously it would propel this boat quite nicely.

Any thoughts?
David

Should be a cool project if weight isn't an issue. What are you using for a trans/converter? I do know that there were 3.8 marine engines back in the day. Good luck with this one.

Should be a cool project if weight isn't an issue. What are you using for a trans/converter? I do know that there were 3.8 marine engines back in the day. Good luck with this one.

Well - the boat will have a "stern drive" which has a direct-drive shaft from the flywheel to the stern drive. In the lower unit of the stern drive, there is a forward - reverse shifter. That's all it has.

The boat had a small stern drive engine, but this one will definately be heavier. It's a deep hull boat already, and I will have the engine set forward from the customary position, to clear the rear-mounted Riviera turbo system. That will help with the balance too.

Back