Drivability -- gears and T.Q.-- 3.8NA???

bitchin_buick

Cragar Keystone Klassics
Im certain someone can help a 3.8NA brother out... I dont have overdrive like you guys withe the turbos... What would be a good set of gears to get a good throttle response but not be to much strain if Im on the expressway... If I get better gears do I have to update the T.Q.???? 82 buick regal limited: 15 x 8 cragars and 225/60/r15 BF. Goodrich (all 4) ----- stock trani(THM-250 series) no overdrive.. 3.8NA opened up airflow with Edlebrock aircleaner & flowmaster exhaust... T.I.A. for your input!!

I'd go with 355's and a small TQ if you wanted to. I don't think you would see huge gains with a TQ on a N/A carb v6. Just my $.02

Richmond doesn't make the 3.55 for the 7.5 gearbox.... Was thinking about the 3.42 gears but was wondering on the drivability.... ??????

Richmond doesn't make the 3.55 for the 7.5 gearbox.... Was thinking about the 3.42 gears but was wondering on the drivability.... ??????

Go with the 3.42's then you should not have any problems with 3.42's and a 3 speed it will tach up more at 60-65 so you might not get the best mpg but it won't hurt the driveablility. Nice car BTW very clean!

So i should be fine doing the gears as I had hoped and not worrying about the TQ.... Thanks for the help and comment.... She's not as fast as the turbos but she is clean.....

So i should be fine doing the gears as I had hoped and not worrying about the TQ.... Thanks for the help and comment.... She's not as fast as the turbos but she is clean.....

It really depends on the trans. I would'nt recommend a 3.42 unless you got the 4-speed trans most later turbo cars have. (Besides, I'm sure gas prices will begin to rise again and a 3.42 on an N/A 3-speed will suck your wallet dry on the highway).

Here's my set up: Richmond 3.23 gears, standard 7.5 rear, THM-350C.
Good gas milage good speed for my set up. This was the standard option on the earlier '82 turbo cars.

Buy a turbo driveline and call it a day, even with gears and a converter it's going to be a sled.