You can type here any text you want

Driveshaft for an El Camino

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Grumpy

Thread killer
Have one here with a Buick set up ..eng, trans, and rear end .. same as a Buick for length?? :confused: will the stock Buick exhaust fit also ???

Hey Grumpy,
No, they are not the same. The El Camino has a longer wheel base, and you have to have a custom driveshaft made up. I'm not sure of the length, but I have always wondered if you could use a driveshaft from a car that had the 7.5" rear end. I think you would still be an inch short though. See if you can get in touch with George P. He had to have a longer driveshaft made when he had that Elky done. He may know. I bet the exhaust would fit if you just lengthen it a couple of inches. Wait. I found something.
From what I have been able to find while sitting at my desk, is that the El Camino's wheel base is either 8, 9, or 11 inches longer. The wagons, coupes and sedans all are 108" and the El Camino is either 116, 117, or 119. So, that means that the driveshaft from the smaller rear wouldn't reach.

Brian ...thanks for the info .. I tried to call the old age home for George but they said he was sleeping :p ok ok ok I just walked down the hall and woke him up .. he doesn't remember :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Well, wake him up an make sure he takes his sleeping pills.

I just did some more checking, now that I am at my own computer. The Regals have a 108.1" wheelbase, and the El Caminos have a 117.1" wheelbase. You need a driveshaft that is......let's see, carry the 1..... ah, 9 inches longer, if you use the 8.5" rear. That is, 9" longer than the GN drive shaft.
Ya know, I saw a black on on 38 in Wilmington, that only needed a little body work, and was only $400. I almost bought it. Thank God it wasn't there when I went back. I have enough crap in the yard. My goal is to get rid of three of them before I let anything follow me home again. Well, at least I can set goals. Now if I can hold myself to it.

ya I can relate trying to say NO MORE CARS :rolleyes: :biggrin: I don't have anymore Buicks ..just 2 TTA's (and I am goin to sell one ) and a RX-7 to go play with the "ricer's" :cool:

call these guys (626) 855-1154 ask for sod, they built a elco with the same setup i think its in the low 12s, tell them ziggy refered you. :biggrin:

Grumpy,
Let me know if you still need the measurement for the driveshaft-I can go out tomorrow and measure the one I have on my 80 El Camino with 87 GN running gear. --Steve

thanks ..but I just wanted to make sure a stock Buick one wasn't goin to do :biggrin: Car is a long way away from being done . Guy is just collecting parts for now ...thanks again

GN Elky

I have a 1982 El Camino with a complete GN driveline. I have an extra driveshaft with the yoke (2004R) and both joints I will sell you. It is longer than the GN.

I was at the exhaust shop today.A guy pulled in with a 78 or 80.Clean as a whistle.The most impressive part was it was stick with no power steering or A/C.

Vega a buddy of mine started a Cosworth Vega (with 12k original miles) hot air set up :rolleyes: never finished it .. cars sat for years outside .. :rolleyes:

Grumpy said:
Vega a buddy of mine started a Cosworth Vega (with 12k original miles) hot air set up :rolleyes: never finished it .. cars sat for years outside .. :rolleyes:
Does he still have it?Any good parts left?

Drive Shaft

USE THE STOCK DRIVE SHAFT FROM AN EL CAMINO WITH A TH 350, YOU DONT NEED TO DO ALL THAT CUSTOM SHAFT MAKING ETC. THATS WHAT i USED. :cool: FITS LIKE A GLOVE DUH... :wink:

TURBOELKY said:
USE THE STOCK DRIVE SHAFT FROM AN EL CAMINO WITH A TH 350, YOU DONT NEED TO DO ALL THAT CUSTOM SHAFT MAKING ETC. THATS WHAT i USED. :cool: FITS LIKE A GLOVE DUH... :wink:
OH YEAH, AND FOR THE EXHAUST, IT IS TOO SHORT, GO TO A MUFFLER SHOP AND HAVE THEM BEND YOU A 3" SINGLE EXHAUST, I PAID ABOUT 150 FOR MINE TO GET DONE, BUT THATS LA PRICING FOR YOU :wink:

10secvega said:
Does he still have it?Any good parts left?

well it was a "hot air" set up .. not even good for a boat anchor to me :rolleyes: Ill ask him if he has anything left .. :cool:

TURBOELKY said:
OH YEAH, AND FOR THE EXHAUST, IT IS TOO SHORT, GO TO A MUFFLER SHOP AND HAVE THEM BEND YOU A 3" SINGLE EXHAUST, I PAID ABOUT 150 FOR MINE TO GET DONE, BUT THATS LA PRICING FOR YOU :wink:

I take it that was not mandrel bent :eek: I had a car here like that and over the rear axle might have been 2"'s where the 3" was crushed down :eek:

Bending

NO IT WASNT MANDREL BENT, BUT THE BENDS WERE SO SHALLOW, THE PIPING LOOKS LIKE IT WS MANDREL BENT. AND I DONT LIKE EXHAUST SHOWING OUT THE A$$ END, SO IT DUMPS OUT BEFORE THE REAR AXLE. IT STAYS 3" THROUGHOUT. HOPE MY HELP HELPS YOU OUT, PS, HAVE ANY PARTS FOR SALE GRUMPY???

Back